We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado end of July?

Uk
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado end of July?

Hello - is the Corcovado national park worth it at the end of July or is it going to be too rainy? The main purpose is to see wildlife so if it's hiding coz of the rain it defeats the purpose .... also since it is low season is it worth going to Puerto Jimenez and trying to book a tour there or best to book in advance?

Is July a good time to visit the Osa in general or would August be better?

Many TIA

Rosa

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
8 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado end of July?

Corcovado NP is worth it in any months when it is open. But of course it is a much different experience when it rains. Usually it is a 2-3 days excursion; no one could tell you what the actual weather will be in those specific days, so end of July or beginning of August is up to Mother Nature.

The number of day visitors to Corcovado NP and La Sirena ranger station is regulated so advanced booking is almost obligatory.

Mentioned in this post
Sirena Ranger Station
Sirena Ranger Station
187 Reviews
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Uk
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado end of July?

thank you, I just worried that if it rains the whole time we are there it's not going to be very interesting for wildlife watching ..... :( I know it's lots of money so not sure if I want to spend all of that money if it is raining heavily all day and we can't see much ... besides not sure I could still get permits now? Im waiting to hear from a few companies ...

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado end of July?

If you stay in Cabo Matapalo or Carate in Osa, for ex., you should be able to see wildlife without entering the park.

To access Carate, you need to get to Puerto Jimenez, where the airport is currently closed till Aug. 22, so you either drive to PJ, then take a 1.5 hr long collectivo (truck) from there, or a taxi, or fly to Golfito, cross the bay in a water taxi or ferry to Puerto Jimenez, and go from there.

The hotels' sites in Drake Bay, for ex., which I did see, require min. 2 wks to book overnight tours in the park. You do not book own permit usually. You can do day tours to one of the ranger stations, but for that, you will be better off from Drake Bay, not from Puerto Jimenez. Boat + hike. To get to DB, you fly there or drive to Sierpe, then continue on a boat with the wet landing in DB. If you have a car, you might need to leave it at a paid lot at Sierpe. Driving in Osa during the rainy season might be tricky and many hotels say it is not recommended (river crossings, etc.). Do not plan Osa at the very end, before your international flight home, just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado end of July?

Nobody can predict how much it will rain... Hopefully it is not too bad. Lots of people do the three day trek in July and August. September and October are the months it gets really bad and Corcovado is closed in October.

If you do the trek do 3 days/2 nights. You want a full day at Sirena to explore.

I am sure you are trying Surcos Tours, Osa Wild, Osa Aventura... I have recently heard that Ficus Tours is good too and they might be a bit cheaper.

When we were in Puerto Jimenez in February 2015 the park (Sirena) was fully booked for a few days. Still, some people just showed up and tried to get a spot and that sometimes worked if they had time to wait for a bit. Before Sirena was renovated I would have said that you might be able to just show up in Puerto Jimenez. Now I don't know as I believe there are less sleeping spots at Sirena after the renovation.

As I mentioned in my reply to your other thread you can see wildlife outside of the park as well. Outside of Puerto Jimenez, in Dos Brazos and also in Carate. And there is lots of wildlife in Cabo Matapalo. If you don't do the trek maybe the money for the trek can go towards two nights in Cabo Matapalo instead.

Mentioned in this post
Surcos Tours
Surcos Tours
568 Reviews
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
5. Re: Corcovado end of July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2018, 16:35

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado end of July?

We had been booking our stay in Carate in the end of this past Aug. when two things happened - PJ airport was closed and the hotel where we were going to get by a collectivo truck from PJ said that if it rained and the truck could not cross the rivers, after waiting for about 3 hrs for the water levels to subside, we would need to return back to PJ and then try again the next day, so we decided to go elsewhere and try Osa in a different month.

You might want to see https:/… :

"You will probably get wet whenever you visit Corcovado, but a drenching is guaranteed August through November."

If you really want to go to Osa in July or Aug., I would think July might be better, farther from the worst / wettest time when the park closes. Does not mean that one cannot get lucky and have lovely sunny days in any month, just luck.

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado end of July?

July can be a great month…but now days NOBODY can predict how bad is going to be…totally agree with XELAS …

If you really like nature …go and get wet is fun.

Check ISEAMI simple but nice place…also Luna Lodge both of them at Carate beach…

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
347 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Corcovado end of July?

Here is a trip review that I posted a couple of years ago.  It isn't exactly the part of Corcovado that you mention in your post.  But it is only a few miles up the coast, at Drake Bay.  

I mention this, because we were there over the July 4th holiday.  The later you go into July, the drier it should get.  But we had no issues with rain interfering with our activities.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30…

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer any further advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt

Costa Rica Travel Exchange

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Reply to: Corcovado end of July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted