We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

If anyone has been to the Osa in October, I’d really appreciate some feedback in regard to the weather at this time of year.

My husband and I are planning to travel down to the Osa during the last two weeks of October and we’re starting to second guess whether or not this is a good idea given that it's the height of the rainy season. Most of the research I’ve done suggests that it's usually sunny in the mornings and afternoons and that the rain is generally restricted to the evenings and over night, but I'd love to hear first hand from anyone that has actually been here during this time to better understand what the weather is actually like.

We’ve been to CR in October before and don’t mind some rain, but we still want to enjoy some sunny days too!

We’re staying at Bosque del Cabo for 4 nights and Iguana Lodge for 5 nights.

Any comments would be most helpful and greatly appreciated!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

October is probably the only month I would avoid all together in Osa...rain, rain, rain. If you have to travel in October I'd head to the Caribbean side and stay in or near Puerto Viejo, where it's the dry season. Having been to BDC twice and returning next year, it's hard for me to turn you the other way, but just being practical here since most people go there to be outdoors. That said, you said you've travelled there in October before and didn't mind it...so you could always take your chances!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

We went to Drake Bay in early Oct 2006 for 3 nights on our honeymoon. It was definitely LOW season, as we were the only ones staying at our resort on 2 of the 3 nights. There were heavy rain showers sporadically each day, with more sun in the morning than afternoon, becoming more frequent rain at night. However, it was still warm, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had large ponchos which breathed well underneath, and took any showers we got caught in in stride. We did a day hike in Corcovado, and a scuba trip to Cano island, a night walk (half in the rain). In two trips to CR, there was no other area that comes close to the diversity and abundance of wildlife. Some places close down in Oct on the Osa, and many people do avoid it, but in our experience, it was still fantastic. We enjoyed the beach and sun time at other places like Puerto Viejo or Playa Conchal on that Oct. trip, but went to the Osa for the wildlife more than the lazy beach days.

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

We've been to Puerto Veijo before in Oct and enjoyed it very much. Maybe we'll divde up our time and spend a week on the Osa and then head over to the Caribbean to get some sunshine before heading home.

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

4. Re: Weather on the Osa Peninsula in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 19:21
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez