We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

I have been looking at the forums on the Osa Penninsula obsessively and thought it might be more helpful to ask my specific questions. I've researched Bosque Del Cabo, Iguana Lodge, Luna Lodge etc Recently married, my husband and I are looking to honeymoon this winter. I'm interested in Hawaii and the Osa(have never been to either) and am leaning strongly towards Osa. From the forums it seems BDC is a favored lodge, and that the deluxe rooms are recommended. This will mean more than $400 per night, which is more than we expected. Just looking for some confirmation that it's worth it-that we're on the right track. We have 7 to 10 days. Would people advise to spend some days at Iguana--or just BDC--or anything else? We found a much less expensive option--Oja Del Mar--good reviews--but maybe more rustic than I'm looking for. Would it be too long to stay at BCD for a week or more? All advice is much appreciated. Even suggestions of locations and accomodations not in CR, I see on the forum that many have been to Hawaii too-we're wide open at this point--but know we want to go somewhere warm we can recharge and connect to nature.

thank you!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

I haven't personally stayed here but the Lookout Inn Lodge was very intriguing to me. We were going to originally go to Osa but decided to stay north instead

http://www.lookout-inn.com/

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Well, if you can afford it, BdC is definitely worth it. You won't really find anything that compares. It's funny, but the chef of BdC recommended Ojo del Mar to us when we were there, but it is A LOT more rustic, from my understanding. I think BdC would be perfect for a honeymoon -- see if Mariposa cabin is available. It's sort of known as the honeymoon cabin, a bit more private.

Maybe you can do 5 nights BdC and 3 nights at Iguana Lodge (and the first and last night closer to San Jose). Or, you could do Ojo del Mar the first 3 nights and then move up to BdC for a bit more luxury. That would be a nice split.

Maybe look into Xandari for your first and last nights closer to San Jose. Seems like it would be nice honeymoon kind of place.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

I have no idea how they can charge $ 400.00 ...any way , Iguana Lodge is a good option...good prices...Luna Lodge as well..

Look Out Lodeg is simple...as it is ISEAMI lodge...very basic...nice area Carate beach...

Jinetes de Osa...at Drakes bay...

Choices of excursions include: Corcovado National Park, Caño Island Biological Reserve, Local Small Boat Fishing, Waterfall Hike, Rio Claro/San Josecito Hike/Snorkel, Full Day Sea Kayaking or Night Rainforest Tour. Horseback Riding and Dolphin Snorkel available for an additional charge

Roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Luna Lodge charges $350 per night for two people, so basically the same as BdC, El Remanso & Lapa Rios. Seems to be the going rate for the four or five higher end lodges in that area.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

I don't think you have to spring for a deluxe room at BDC. I've stayed in both and both are wonderful but you won't have the king size bed in the standards. That said you still have wonderful views and great cabinas with either the standard or deluxe. They are all on the same bluff overlooking the Pacific. Granted you can save $ going in low season (which is usually when I go) this is one place I make sure to visit each trip to CR even though I'm a moderate traveler whenever possible.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Also, do make sure to add in taxes and meals whenever they're not included. Sometimes this brings prices closer together. Plus at BDC you really don't need to do any tours unless you want, there's plenty to do on your own. A split with Pearl of the Osa at Iguana Lodge is a good option too and doing tours from there.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Having been to Hawaii and Costa Rica I can only say that if you want to see both eventually, go to Hawaii first. We went to Costa Rica first and were disipointed when we got to Hawaii. Hawaii is beautiful but not as diverse as Costa Rica. If your looking for nature, wildlife and birds and say Costa Rica for sure.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

When we went to Costa Rica for the first time we did a 10 day tour with Caravan Tours http://www.caravan.com/tour/costa-rica. It was wonderful and highly recommended. You don't see the Osa peninsula but you are exposed to 7 different eco systems. The cost was $999 and it included all accomodations, transportation, 1/2 day excursions, food and non alcoholic drinks. Even though the drinks were not part of the package they were free for 6 of the nights. All accomodations were on the higher end.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

We've been to both and love both. BDC is beautiful. If you really love hiking and seeing wildlife, it would be a great place for you. The best wildlife we've ever seen was on the Osa Peninsula - one day we saw all 4 kinds of monkeys from the front porch of our cabin, and also saw scarlet macaws and toucans. Really amazing. If you want air conditioning and to be able to run your blow dryer and have something more developed, go with Hawaii. Both are incredible places, just entirely different. And not to complicate things, but you could take a look at Belize as well. You can do a split between a jungle lodge in the Cayo district and then spend time on a beautiful beach.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Osa Peninsula accomodations etc

Hi while I have not been to BDC it did not fit into the budget when were there with the family. We did book Yellow coco lodge I found it wonderful. We loved Osa!! You could rent the whole house or the bunglow. It is next door to iguana lodge which you can walk to and eat or do the BBQ and spagetti night. We did several tours right from the house. they arranged everything. We had breakfast delived to our house each morning and had some groceries we bought for light meals in addition to the place to eat in town. Black turtle lodge i believe is what is called is next door on the other side.