We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Carlos, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

My family (girls aged 8 and 10) is staying at Lapa Rios for 4 nights in December at the beginning of a two-week Costa Rica trip I was looking at the activities offered and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Dolphin tour with Changing Tide Tours, surf lessons with Pollo Surf school, or horseback riding at Finca Bijagual. All of these appealed to someone in my family. Our primary focus will likely be the nature walks offered at Lapa Rios, so it's a question of what is worth traveling further afield for.

thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

Most people, especially families, really love a trip to the animal sanctuary. You can often spot dolphins on the boat ride there so no need to add a dolphin tour. There is also a great horseback ride offered near there by a local man named Miguel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

So many things to do around there...and Lapa Rios is maybe the best place around...your family will love it...I hope you enjoy our country as much as we do!

roadadvisor

Ottawa
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

The Changing Tides Tour was great. Josh and Tino will take you across the gulf to the animal sanctuary (see monkeys, macaws, sloths..up close and personal),explore the gulf and find a pod of dolphins to spend time with (in our case, about an hour and a half), and go into a river or two off the gulf (great water birds, caimans, etc.) Josh is fun, friendly, and very knowledgeable about the gulf and its inhabitants. Highly recommended. Buena suerte.

Falkland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

The dolpin tour with Changing Tides is awesome - especially if you have a boat with the air chair. We spent a day earlier this year out on the Gulfo Dulce on one of their boats and ran into a school of dolphins who swam with the boat. My husband and another fellow planeboarded behind the boat with the dolphins swimming by them. We did the wildlife sanctuary tour as well and it was very interesting. Highly recommend both! We enjoyed it so much we have already booked for our trip back in Feb 2011.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

The planeboarding is illegal now so this activity should be avoided and reported. However, it's still really cool seeing pods of dolphins swim along side you, sometimes the pods are over 100! Kayaking is fun too, just depends on how much time you have.

6. Re: No-miss activities available at Lapa Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2011, 06:23