We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying Sansa from San Jose

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
flying Sansa from San Jose

how is the flight from San Jose via Sansa....have heard mixed reviews about Sansa....would appreciate feedback as we will be flying in December...may just rent a car at this point....and cancel our flight...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

We've flown Sansa many times from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez and back. We've had good, smooth flights every time except one sort of bumpy one once during the rainy season. I'm even a nervous flyer and I feel confident in their little planes. Plus the view out the window is amazing. Just make sure you leave plenty of time between a domestic Sansa flight and your international flight home, as sometimes there can be flight delays. Hope this helps.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

Good domestic airline with great safety record...nice planes...I do highly recommend them...go for!

roadadvsior

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
159 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

We have flown Sansa without any problems, but you need to check their baggage weight limits which are less than international carriers.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

Also, I'd double check that the flight is still scheduled that same day if you can. We had a flight (a connecting flight) canceled without notice and had to scramble over to Nature Air -- but I think that can happen with either of them and it's not likely.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

We've flown them before; I'd use them again. They can be a little dicey on the luggage weights. We were on a crowded flight, and they told one woman her bag would be put on the next plane even though it met the size and weight requirements. She got pretty angry about it, and they ended up letting her bring it. I've felt safe using them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

Not much more to add but agree with the others and have flown both. As plumboy said it is good to confirm ahead especially for weather delays/cancellations.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

i've flown both and it's hard to say which is better. all the times i've flown sansa we never left on schedule. always at least 45 minutes late, but they are at sjo which is convenient. nature air leaves from tobias airport, about 20 minutes from sjo. all my flights left on time and it's cheaper than sansa but some flights have stops, on the way to golfito we stoppped in quepos/ma and puerto jimenez so time is negligable between the two, and the taxi fare between airports cuts into the savings. six of one, half dozen of the other. if you have the time, rent a car.

Washington, Dc
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

We just used Sansa from San Jose to Quepos ....it was 25 min of awesome views. The pilots were very professional and the ride was smooth. Don't expect a jet it's a prop plane. I'm a nervous flyer but after the first few minutes I was definitely at ease! Much better than a 3 hour car ride over unmarked unimproved roads.

Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

Sansa just cancelled my flight for this Sunday which has tossed my whole trip into flux. Just be careful not to plan things too tightly and make sure to check you email in case something similar happens.

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying Sansa from San Jose

Thanks to all of you for tempering my nervousness about the flight on Sansa....I appreciate each of you who took time to respond to my post.....the forums and people who participate sure make travel a more comfortable adventure! With gratitude....Anna

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez