We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to see?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to see?

Heloo everyone,

We'll be visiting Costa Rica for the 3rd year in a row now. Last year we rented a car and drove throughout the beautiful country. Thank you for all of the information that everyone on TA has given, our trip was awesome and very memorable!

We will be arriving in Liberia, driving to Tamarindo for a couple of nights to decompress, drive to Dominical for 1 night and then off to Puerto Jiminez the following day. Eventually making our way back up to Brasalito, at Hotel Concah(love the area)

This year we will be back for 3 weeks, we were thinking of going to Puerto Jimenez and using it as a base. We were thinking of doing the Corcovado day hike, drive to Maltapalo?, BOSQUE DEL CABO LODGE?

Were thinking of Iguana lodge as our base maybe spend a couple of nights in Maltapalo, visiting the animal resue centre and maybe Cano lsland

How much time do you think we would need in the area. Are there other places we should consider staying, Drake Bay, Carate. We were thinking of going to Zancudo but not sure now!

Not in to the fancy hotels, we like to hang with the locals and just sight see and chill

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks Nick

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Hi Nick...

Great itinerary....Bosque del Cabo is not a cheap place at all...nice but not cheap...

Check Casa Bambuu in Matapalo beach great place...nice beach ...from there you can drive to Carate ...incredible nice area...so mnay red macaws and monkies...Luna Lodge offer some different prices...great ocean view from most of the place!

Many nice places around Dominical for one night...by Uvita Tiky Villas great place...

If you have at least 1 week will be nice...but maybe a few more days...since the area is so incredible ..

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Have you already booked your tickets? It doesn't make much sense to fly into Liberia and then drive, drive, drive all the way across the country. San Jose would make more sense.

Would make more sense also to fly into Puerto Jimenez and out, and rent a vehicle in Puerto Jimenez.

Not sure what "Corcovado day hike" you're talking about--do you mean driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate and then walking to La Leona?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

I thought that here was day hike? I guess that would be it into La Leona

We have already booked our tickets. We chose to fly into Liberia because we will be ending with a week in Brasalito as our base.

I really don't mind the drive. I did look into flying into Jimenez but on our way from Puerto Jimenez we will be stopping in Domincal again for a few nights again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Hi Luis,

Hope everything is well:-)

We are not sure where to stay ... we may use Port Jim as our base and do day trips to CA no Island, Carate, Matapello. Does it make sense? Or should we stay in Carate?

Any recommendations for hotel Puerto Jim?

Cheers

Nick

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Hi Luis,

Hope everything is well:-)

We are not sure where to stay ... we may use Port Jim as our base and do day trips to CA no Island, Carate, Matapello. Does it make sense? Or should we stay in Carate?

Any recommendations for hotel Puerto Jim?

Cheers

Nick

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

If Cano Island is on the itinerary, it makes more sense to stay in Drake Bay. You could split your time between there and Carate.

Cabinas Jimenez (visited, stayed in a rental home) is a good value.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

I would like to go snorkling. I was thinking of going of Uvtia, when we are in Dominical

From reading all of the posts I think we will stay Puerto Jimenez as our base.

We did look at Cabinas Jimenez and thought it was very nice, it is close to town. There are a couple more we were thinking of, my wife would like to have a nice beach.

We are thinking of possibly staying two nights in the Carate area, just not sure where as of yet. We'll maybe do Drake when we return next year.

Thank you for your feedback

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Hi Nick,

I'd definitely recommend flying in and out of Puerto Jimenez, and renting a car there. The drive is really not worth it that much (I live in Jimenez and I have done that drive a LOT of times...)... I'd always do the flight over driving.

In Jimenez there is Solid Rent a Car - which is one of the most affordable options out there. They have special weekly prices etc.!

In Jimenez I'd recommend Cabinas Tropicales www.cabinas-tropicales.com - they have one of the best ratings on tripadvisor out of all places. They are pretty new and thus not have the reputation yet as Cabinas Jimenez. But that;s definitely a really nice place to stay!

Regarding the tour into Corcovado - Cabinas Tropicales organizes everything too, so you could just ask them to give you a package deal on a Corcovado hike.

I'd personally recommend an overnight stay in the park (Sirena Ranger Station)> The day hike into La Leona is ok, but you'll definitely not nearly see half as much as you would in the park (La Sirena).

I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have!

J

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

Thanks Greenlifevolu,

I would love the longer hike but my wife isn't to crazy about hiking that long.

We are considering staying a couple of nights in Carate ( The lookout ), what do you think?

I understand that there is a lot of wildlife around the area.

I looked over Cabinas Tropicales, they have good reviews. It is the type of place we generally like to stay at when we visit Costa Rica.

Thank you for your advice,

Nick

10. Re: Where to stay and what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez