We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank or ATM

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Bank or ATM

For anyone that has taken Surcos Tours with Nito or the other guides how did you handle your payment?

I was told to pay in cash to the tour guide in US dollars. I am a little worried because we arrive in PJ on a Saturday afternoon. I assume the banks will be closed. Where is a recommended place to get cash? What is the ATM withdrawal amount limit in town?

I don't want to carry all that cash before heading into town.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank or ATM

I would not count on a ATM in Pt Jimenez working, it could be out of cash, it could be off line, maybe your card wont work, electricity is spotty, bad storms, who knows. Bring the Cash, Pt Jimenez is safe as anywhere, I would not worry about that...

cant you wire to his bank account?

Edited: 08 January 2013, 02:50
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank or ATM

I would bring the cash, and I would pay on the day of the trip. Many things can happen in a day (or even in a night) and thus you might avoid some hassle. Puerto Jimenez is as safe as any other town in Costa Rica. If not flashing your $ bills, who would know what are you carrying around?

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank or ATM

The ATMs work just fine in Puerto Jimenez. There are two, both across the street from the other. Banco Nacional and Banco de Costa Rica.

Other options would be to deposit the funds into Nito's account on Friday (direct deposit, not wire transfer). You would need his account number and name of his bank. Just visit the same bank, make your deposit, keep the receipt and then share the receipt with Nito when you meet up. This way there are no fees.

It's unfortunate that some people continue to comment on facts that they don't know about first hand, but the ATMs in Puerto Jimenez are up and running fine.

And Rob, have a great time with Nito. He's a great guide and a really nice person. Enjoy your time in the jungle!

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Edited: 08 January 2013, 15:02
4. Re: Bank or ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez