We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado or Matapolo?

Jolie618
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado or Matapolo?

Unfortunately, my husband and I only have a few days to visit Osa. We are trying to decide between a day in Matapalo or a day hike into Corcovado from La Leona along the Rio Madrigal. I've heard Corcovado is not to be missed, but that trail is not an ideal way to see Corcovado.

Any advice?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado or Matapolo?

Personally, I have enjoyed more the hike on Cabo Matapalo area (parked our car at Buena Esperanza Restaurant & Bar and walked the road to the end of the road at Cabo Matapalo, and back, making side trips to several beaches). It has offered much more wildlife sightings then the hike from Carate via La Leona to Rio Madrigal and back, and was also much easier. No entry fee to be paid, no reservations to worry about, no guide, which all is needed if hiking into Corcovado (past La Leona ranger station). For the record, we did not hike along Rio Madrigal but only crossed it twice. I am not aware that one day hike does any hike along / upstream Rio Madrigal, but others might correct me.

I have not (yet) been in the heart of Corcovado, which as I learned from other people reports, is best if staying an overnight or two at La Sirena ranger station.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado or Matapolo?

The wildlife we saw in Matapalo is about one-half notch below that around Sirena, so I would do Matapalo this time and return for Sirena another time.

3. Re: Corcovado or Matapolo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez