We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects at Bosque del Cabo

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Insects at Bosque del Cabo

One of the recent postings mentioned a problem with infestation of army ants - yet no other traveller's postings seemed to mention this. We are travelling with our kids in March and staying in a deluxe cabina - are the insects a problem? Is there anything (ie. bug repellant, etc) that anyone can suggest?

Also, I have a problem with vertigo (severe at times) - are the tree top zip lines out of the question?

Thanks

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

We just got back from staying at Bosque last week and LOVED it there. You are in the jungle so there are plenty of bugs. You have to stay in your mosquito net at nights in your bed. We had no infestation of ants but if you keep your light on in the room you will get your share of bugs. Remember you are in the rainforest and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. We used Repel bug spray.

The mosquitos weren't bad. I would say if you have vertigo don't go on the zip lines. Check it out when you get there and make a decision. It is alot of fun and I am afraid of heights!

We had a BIG frog outside our room everynight on the veranda. We named him and thought of him as the guardian of our room.

Enjoy Bosque!

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

I haven't had much of a problem at Bosque with bugs and I have stayed there many times. Try not to leave a light on when you aren't in the cabina. If you want to read keep the mosquito netting close around the bed so they don't get in. If they do get in open the netting and turn off the lights so they will leave.

As far as the army ants go. That is a very unusual thing. Most Costa Ricans love it because they clean the unwanted bugs out of the house and then move on. Birders like me love them during the day hours anyway because of the birds they attract. Unfortunately, this was not a good situation for the guests who were paying a lot for a cabina they couldn't use for a whole night. Army ants travel in huge groups so there isn't much you can do but just get out of the way. If you are hiking and see a column going across the trail, don't try to go through them. I have only seen a couple of columns while hiking there.

Several years ago I was so worried about bugs at Bosque that I put spray on before I got dressed so I would be covered completely. I ended up with paint stripes on my legs from sitting on the chairs in the dining room. Bug spray is a solvent as it turns out. I tried getting the paint off with all kinds of things including rubbing sand on it on the beach. Nothing worked. Another guest told me about it being a solvent and suggested I spray more bug spray on me to loosen it. It came right off. I haven't used bug spray much since that time and have discovered that I don't really need it as much as I thought I did.

minneapolis
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

We didn't have any trouble with bugs at Bosque, or maybe it was because we were too busy having the time of our lives to notice them. We never slept with the mosquito netting. Yes, there were a few bugs around, but that's to be expected because we chose to go to the rain forest. We didn't see any army ants. Fantastic to be taking your kids there- they'll love it!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

Just returned from BDC and can agree with other posts. We had very little problem with bugs in our cabina. We did sleep with the mosquito netting down. There were occasional small ants-no big deal. We did not even use much repellent while hiking on the trails. Only on a night tour we took.

I have had vertigo in the past and also motion sickness but we did the zip line in Monteverde and i had no problem. It was all scared away by my paralyaing fear, but so glad we did it !

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
53 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

I agree with the other posters. We just got back and bugs weren't a problem. I may find the occaisional critter in your cabina but that is too be expected.

At night we used flashlights in our cabina to avoid attracting bugs with the overhead lights. We sleep with the doors closed but didn't use the netting around the bed.

We only have a few bites our whole week there. I think that one poster with the army ants was just very unlucky.

6. Re: Insects at Bosque del Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez