We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Topic
Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

We just got off the Caravan tour on 15th Jan '08 and the Doubletree in Puntarenas nearly made me hate the trip.

It is very dirty in all areas: hotel rooms have floor tiles which are filthy with hairs of all kinds, tissue bits, crumbs, sand, etc.

The grounds has gum, cigarette butts and plates upon plates of the all-inclusive indulgence lying around for hours before they are bussed away.

The restaurants and public areas are filthy with fingerprints, stickiness, and an overall feeling of a rushed clean-up.

Public hotel bathrooms were disgusting. I would NOT reccommend this hotel to anyone.

I did speak to the manager. Hopefully he will make some well-needed changes.

In the meantime, stay away.

Northern California
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Wow 81skate that is so sad and makes me worry since we are on the same tour with Caravan leaving the 31st. There have been such glowing reports of this tour and tour company on this web site. I really enjoyed the great day by day report that was give awhile back. Since you are freshly back is there anything else that we should watch out for on this trip. Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Hi!! I am at the hotel right now. It is really important to get into building 3 at this resort. The rooms are amazing there. All redone by Hilton. The resort is great! I am with a group of 22 people and everyone is really enjoying it. If you are not booked into building 3, get yourself booked into it. Worth a little extra money.

delaware
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

We just stayed there in building number three and thougth it was wonderful. The grounds were clean and the food was good. We were with Caravan tours and all in our group enjoyed the Hotel, pools, and the all inclusive bar. Was a wonderful two days and even had fireworks on Saturday night.

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

My wife and I just returned with many of the same experiences. The reception desk people are complacent and apathetic at best. They just don't care. Hotels have one thing to offer, service, and this Hilton property fails. The worst hotel we have ever stayed, bar none. Two stars are generous.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

With people who live here, it is a joke to talk about going to Puntarenas voluntarily. It is the armpit of CR. The whole city smells. Seriously, there is no reason for anyone on vacation to go there.

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Yes you are quite right .......... shame really as it could be a nice place.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

provided i still needed to go to Puntarenas. From San Jose, what would be the least expensive option. Is there a low cost or private car service that would cost less tha $80 US.

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Puntarenas was, IMO, an area that was nice to visit a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the locals (many from outside of C.R.) along with tourists who are irresponsible for the damage the area within time. Now, it's probably one the areas I wouldn't visit as I would Guanacaste or other beaches before them. What ashame. When I'm there visiting I make sure to clean up after myself. But not everyone in this world can be responsible.

serenity1921
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

Double Tree was a magnificent Resort. Myself and 3 others enjoyed every minute. I just got back yesterday from a 5 day trip there and they were very accomidating and they had great food entertainment and it was very very clean! I would like to clarify that Hilton just took over the resort about 3 months ago so they must have been doing some updates when the person who claims its a "dump" visited. I would return again and again. The buffet was good and you always have to remember you are in a foreign country so you need to try new things. If not then just stay home. The beach has volcanic sand so its not a white sand beach but you can still sit on it and relax. If you want to visit clear water I would recommend Turtle Island. It was beautiful there. The name of the Double Tree before it was purchased by Hilton was Hotel Fiesta and all of the locals only know it as that. So don't forget it. I hope lots will visit. It was a great time. And its an all inclusive what more can you ask for....

Longview, WA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Doubletree Puntarenas a DUMP!!

I am so glad to hear you had a positive experience as my family is staying at Doubletree in July 2008. Did you stay in Building 3 as other reports have said it was the nicer building compared to others.

Did you hear much about botflies? I have been reading some icky things about those critters in Costa Rica. And finally, what about Denge - also from mosquitoes?

Regards,

Dianne