We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few questions

Stratford...
7 posts
Save Topic
few questions

Hi! first time going to Costa Rica and have a few questions... thinking of staying at the Double Tree Resort by Hilton.. wondering if you can exchange travelers cheques there and do they charge an exchange fee? Also across from the hotel is Tiquo tours do they accept travelers cheques, mc and visa?? and one more question any thoughts abou the resort itself? thanks in advance for your comments.

Kathi

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: few questions

As a general rule - traveler's checks are not widely accepted in Costa Rica, even at banks so I wouldn't bother. Credit cards are widely accepted and there are ATM's everywhere to get cash. Many of them will give you either US dollars or local currency - colones.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: few questions

Try to avoid bringing TC as much as possible...not well accepted...they are a headache...banks will take for ever to credit the funds and many times after a long wait they will said sorry the signatures do not match!

roadadvisor

Stratford...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: few questions

Thank you for your quick reply! If you use you ATM card is there a processing charge?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: few questions

It depends - some ATM's charge a fee - I have seen $US1.50 to $7.00 and everything in between. Whether your credit card would charge a fee - you would need to contact them to find out.

Stratford...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: few questions

Thank you Hattie! I'll call them and find out . Any comments on the Double Tree?

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: few questions

I agree with everyone else - Avoid Travellers cheques. Go with the ATMs - they are much less hassle. TCs, take about 6 weeks to clear, so everyone is reluctant to take them

As was said, your own bank will set the transaction fee. In my own experience, it is better to take a larger amount rather than several smaller amounts so long as you have somewhere safe to keep the cash

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: few questions

Never been there so can't say anything one way or another. Just check Trip Advisor reviews.

Stratford...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: few questions

Thankyou so much HattieCostaRica you have been so helpful! I have one more question is there a depature or entry fee? Any information would be appreciated!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: few questions

There is a departure fee of $US26 which you can pay either with a credit card or in cash and you can pay a mixture of colones and dollars if this is helpful. If you use your credit card, it will be considered a cash advance. The departure fee area is very fast so no problem there and there are ATM's nearby if you need to use one.

No entrance fee. Well... nothing above and beyond what you pay for your ticket.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: few questions

The Doubletree in Puntarenas? I walked through there a couple years ago when they were undergoing renovations and it looked very nice indeed. The pool area was fabulous. But, the beach is not great and the area in general is not great. Not many people go to the Puntarenas area for vacation, unless they are on a cruise ship or are Ticos. Not many Americans or Canadians or even Europeans. Perhaps there is another Double Tree you are referring to?

Get answers to your questions about Punta Arenas