We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Which Punta Arenas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

We want to choose the Province of Puntarenas as our last leg of our 14days Costa Rica Trip. We will start in the Northern Plains (Alajuela), then to Guanacaste. By then, hopefully we would have done some Ecotourism and Sun & Beaches. We would like to do something different towards the end of the trip, like shopping, eating, museums and city trip, etc. Will there be any good places in Puntarenas to spend 3 days? if not, where would be a good alternative? We will spend our last night near SJO before our flight home the next day. Thank You!

1. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2012, 19:23
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Hotel Tioga in Puntarenas...run by a great family from Puntarenas...I do not know anything about exbeacher recommendation ,,,

Sometimes locals know better!!

roadadvsior

3. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2012, 19:23
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Here we go again - the old exbeachers and his tried and true buddy, Michael's Surfside.

The town of Puntarenas isn't really somewhere that I would recommend spending a lot of time. It's a port town and commercial center and you can see what is to be seen and shop and eat in a morning or an afternoon.

I would recommend spending some time in other areas. One good possibility is the Alajuela area where you can stay at one of the great places in the hills overlooking the city - Orquideas Inn is one of them - and have some great things to do, including a coffee tour, The Butterfly Farm to see how butterflies are raised commercially, Zoo Ave and other activities. Alajuela is a nice town to walk around and do some shopping and there are several good quality souvenir shops as well as a good selection of restaurants. I like to just get an ice cream cone and sit in the beautiful Central Park and watch the world go by.

5. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Removed on: 09 March 2012, 19:22
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Well I have no idea who Michael Surfiside Hotel may be...I know who the Gomez family in Puntarenas are...they have had been running TIOGA Hote for MANY years...many!!l ...incredible nice clean costarican family...runing a small land mark hotel...as 100% costarican native I´m so proud of my own people...

Of course do not take me worng Michael can be running a good operation...but honestly I have no idea who he is or his B and B..

roadadvisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Agree with Hattie, the town of Puntarenas holds very little interest to the visitor besides the port facilities and large cruise ships that dock. The province is very large and includes Manuel Antonio, Jaco, Dominical, Uvita. Puerto Jimenez, all of Osa, Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Mal Pais among others.

I would also suggest Alajuela or maybe Escazu/Santa Ana are for restaurants and shopping.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

I was in Puntarenas about 3 weeks ago and it might be fine to spend a day there to try a different area (the beach was dirty with garbage), walk around , have some Granizados, Virogones etc, but 3 days there is too much. I would personally prefer Jaco or Manuel Antonio

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

If you're not interested in beaches and nature sightseeing, Puntarenas might not be for you. But if you're interested in seeing things that not many other tourists see, you could fill three days in Puntarenas. Besides the Tarcoles River crocodile tour, you could try Carara National Park famous for its macaw population. You could also arrange for a tour of the Puntarenas mangrove …blogspot.com/2011/11/manglar-de-puntarenas.… or spend the day taking a trip on the Calypso Cruises to Isla Tortuga, pricey but worth it. There are now tours to San Lucas Island, the former home of the penitentiary with a beautiful beach. Costa Rica's Alcatraz! http://www.sanlucastours.com/ The trip on the ferry to Paquera is fun and the private nature reserve Curu is an easy drive from the ferry dock. Not many will agree with me, but the town of Puntarenas can be interesting. There's a museum at the Cultural Center near the Cathedral (itself a historical landmark) and there are many moderate priced restaurants with great seafood. Since the town hasn't experienced the tourism boom like other parts of Costa Rica, it retains some of its "authentic" flavor. The Churchill at one of the open air "soda fountains" on the beach near the cruise ship pier is not to be missed. There are several reasonably priced hotels in the western part of town near the point of the peninsula. The sunsets are spectacular.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping, Eating and City Trip in Puntarenas?

Thank you everyone for all the useful suggestions. At the end, we have decided to go back up north to Monteverdefor few days. Will save the Rain Forest for next time.

Take care all!

Get answers to your questions about Punta Arenas
Recent Conversations