We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing my dog to costa rica

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
grand rapids,mich
3 posts
Save Topic
bringing my dog to costa rica

We are planning a trip next year to Manuel Antonio. We will be renting a villa for one month and would love to bring our dog. We live in Michigan and are concerned about the climate (he is short haired) and what requirements there are to bring him. Has anyone done this?

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

yes , lots of tourist bring their dogs along , it is very easy , just have some water for the mut when you get off the plane , he or she will love Quepos , there are no requirments for your pet to enter CR , sometimes on returning to the USA they will have him quaranteened , which means he must stay at home for awhile , no big deal , so put him in the cage and let him fly ¡

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

You'll need a little bit more than water. The requirement for entering Costa Rica with a pet is having a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian. The examination for the certificate must be conducted within the two weeks prior to traveling. The required vaccinations are: distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and rabies. Your dog may have already had most of these and if the shots are still good and the vet will sign off on it, you should be good to go.

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

thats new to me , when did they start this requirment ? two weeks ago , a friend from Idaho brought me a border collie , and they did not ask for anything ¡

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

From the pages of the Costa Rican Embassy in the usa

costarica-embassy.org/consular/…pets.htm

So it looks like you should listen to Prolijo as opposed to Dos Brazos on this one...

Pura Vida

raque;

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

I would love to adopt a Chihuahua from Costa Rica. Any links to animal shelters?

I have a Chihuahua now, and saw a few while we were there. So expensive here to but one at $1200., I wondered if it was feasable to adopt from another country?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

I meant " to buy" not "to but" :-)

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

Prolijo is absolutely correct, proof of rabies vaccinations plus a health certificate. These regs have been in force for at least 2002. I often traveled with my dogs to Costa Rica and always had to produce paper work of the sort he described. Going back to the US is easier. But the more or less the same paper work is required.

I say paperwork intentionally because, the vets in Costa Rica don't receive the same level of training in the US and often don't even see the animals inorder to issue a health certificate. They do however charge quite a bit for doing nothing except filling out a form. It is an absurd situation!

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

meant to say "proof of rabies and other vaccinatons"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

Chihuahuas are $1200 a pop?!?!? Even in Canadian Dollars, that's nuts! Sorry for the hijack -- now back to your regular scheduled programming already in progress :)

Signed,

Pet-ignorant

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing my dog to costa rica

I have known about the requirements to bring a dog into CR for several years but would like info on bringing the dog back into the states.