We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Itinerary

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help With Itinerary

We will be visiting CR for the 1st time 9/26-10/6. We'll get in late and have to stay one night in San Jose. Suggestions? I would say convenience would be at the top of our list for that hotel. We would then like to stay a few days in a nice beach area before re-locating to a time share in Quepos. I know it's the rainy season so where would be a good area? How about accomodations? It would be nice to be on the beach but not to terribly pricey. Our time share in Quepos is not on the beach so this would be a nice change before we go there. We enjoy having a good time but we are not needing extreme night life (early 40's). Just a beautiful interesting area.

Naturalist Michael Araya Flores
Forests, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Marina Pez Vela
Piers & Boardwalks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Itinerary

The time you are going is a good time to visit the Caribbean side of CR. September and October are much less rainy there than the Pacific side. Therefore, I would suggest considering spending a few days in the Puerto Viejo area.

An excellent place to stay at is Banana Azul. It meets your criterea - it is reasonable and right on the beach. My husband and I stayed there in May and I enjoyed it. it does not have a pool - so if that is important to you, there are other options

http://www.bananaazul.com

If the idea of going to the Caribbean side of CR before you head to the Quepos area interests you, check out some of the posts in the Puerto Viejo part of this forum for opinions and ideas.

Pura Vida

raquel

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Itinerary

Agree with Raquel on both location and accomodation. Banana Azul is a great and friendly place to stay, right on the beach and within walking distance to town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With Itinerary

How far is it to get from San Jose and then from the Carribean side all the way over to Quepos? I'll do some research on that area, I didn't even consider that before. Still interested in some Pacific side info (in case I determine the Carribean side is too far) and accomodations in San Jose. Thanks for your help so far!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With Itinerary

Hi Shannon congrats on your trip

Recently did yourjourney Carib side is pretty far away over 100 miles brown black not great beaches for me would stick to your original plan...

For pre post flights

www.thealtahotel.com

beautiful in Escazu hills pretty

close to the airport overlooking SJ

expedia.com special $100 it was great.

closest moderate hotel to the airport $70dbl

www.adventure-inn.com clean nice not the Alta

then down to

www.manuelantoniopark.com

much prettier than the Carib side

www.costverde.com

great reasonably priced jungle lodge hotel...

overlooking close to MA

Have Fun,

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With Itinerary

www.costaverde.com sorry missed the "a"

still more monkeys than people...iguanas coatis too

feed an iguana a flower he will be yours forever...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With Itinerary

I thought that the caribe side would be an awful long drive. But let me clarify...we already have accomodations in Quepos so do not need anything near Manuel Antonio. What we were hoping for were suggestions for beach towns and accomodations that we could stay a few days at BEFORE we went down to Quepos/Manuel Antonio area. The Banana Azul sounded interesting but I think we'll have to stay on the Pacific Side this trip. Any other suggestions on areas & accomodations? Thanks for everything so far!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With Itinerary

Yes from PV to the Quepos area is a long haul no matter how you slice it. If you drive or are driven it would take more than 8 hours. A private driver would be more than $200.00.

We did it MA to PV by public bus. We were lucky. all our conneections worked out well. We were actually there in about 9 hours. here is a link to my post describing it. If you decide to do it, you can always consider breaking it up by spending the night in San Jose where yu have to trnafer buses.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k1973…

However, the reason we have suggested you look at the Caribbean side is for weather and variety as Sept and Oct are the rainiest months on the Pacific side.

Have you decided how you plan to travel from place to place? This might determine what places will be more convenient. You might want to look at Samara or Montezuma - but you are still looking at at least 5 hours to the Quepos area.

raquel

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With Itinerary

There is so much to consider! We have not decided for sure we will use for transportation. We've heard such conflicting reports regarding driving. I tend to get car sick so having my own vehicle usually cuts down on this especially if the bus is non-airconditioned or stops a lot. Keep your suggestions coming, I just took a quick look at Montezuma and looks interesting.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With Itinerary

For your first night after landing, you might want to look at Orquideas Inn. It's not far from the airport, and gets good reviews on here. I think I'll be staying there on our last night next March.

For a place BEFORE your Quepos time, you might want to check out Punta Leona Hotel. It's on the way to Quepos, and depending on what time you fly in, you might actually be able to get there the same day (I think it's only about 1 1/2 drive from the airport). Now, I haven't stayed there AND the reviews are pretty spotty at best, but there is a beach there - Playa Blanca - that looks very beautiful. If you look into it, maybe check out the Leonamar apartment option (from the research I did, those were the accommodations that people actually liked - and they sit right in front of Playa Blanca) as opposed to the Selvamar option (which get very mixed reviews and seem further away from the beach). The grounds look very lush with some trails on-site, apparently.

Just a couple ideas...

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With Itinerary

I think a big reason many people were suggesting the carribean side is because you are going to be there in the worst of the rainy season. The carribean side gets less rain at that time of the year. Still I think it would be a really long drive since you know you are going to Quepos afterwards.

Along the way there isn't much in the way of beach areas I would recommend and other beaches I would be kind of far to get to. You could go south of the Quepos area to Dominical maybe.

Have you considered doing something other than the beach since you will already be in a beach area at the end? You could do Arenal and see the volcano. I personally also spend all of my time at the beach but I don't go to more than one spot when doing this.