We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting around

Our group of 7 adults are going to be in Quepos/MA from Dec. 10 to Dec. 16. We have rented a vacation home about half way between MA and Quepos. I understand the bus route is about a block from the house and the beach is about a 15 minute walk. Would like suggestions and opinions about renting a vehicle. I am sure we want to see all that we can see. We have a driver taking us to Quepos from Arenal. Have any of you stayed in a vacation rental and have good experiences that you could share?

Thank you very much,

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

The stretch between Quepos and Manuel Antonio is dotted with several hotels and rental properties so unless I know the specific home you are renting, I can't comment on the accuracy of "15 minute walk to beach and one block to bus station". Additionally, this stretch of road is winding and mountainous. In several areas there is little shoulder to walk. Unless your rental is in a very remote area, you should be fine without renting a vehicle. Taxis are very plentiful and inexpensive if members of your group don't want to walk to the bus stop and/or beach. Instead of renting a vehicle for your entire stay, you can rent a vehicle for a day if you want to explore the area further. Or hire a private driver for the day for the entire group. (I can recommend someone locally in you'd like.) Hope this help! Repost or email me at Latitude9Lisa@aol.com (not associated with the real estate company!)if you'd like more info. Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

Lisa, thank you so much. You are always so helpful and I have read many things that you have written. They have helped me plan this trip. We have rented Casa de Las Brisas and I have been assured it will be empty and waiting for us upon arrival on Dec. 10. Leo Rodriguez is driving us from Arenal and we will be leaving Arenal early on the morning of the 10th. We all want to hang out together so we decided on a house. Hope we have not made a mistake. Guess renting a 4 x 4 would be a good idea, at least for a few days. Do you know if a grocery store is nearby? Would like to have the fridge stocked before we get there as it will probably be late. Don't know if I am ready to have the rental agency stock the fridge. Stores in Puerto Rico (where we usually go) have much the same as here. Don't know about Quepos. Thanks again. Guess I am asking too much but I am really getting excited now!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Quepos
Quepos
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Lisa has it right about there being an abundance of local public transportation along that route (buses and taxis). If you don't want to pay for a private driver during your entire stay, it would be much cheaper to rely on local taxis. Day tours will pick you up at your hotel and probably at a rental too. Walking is always good exercise during the day but be careful as that road gets a lot of traffic and as Lisa pointed out - no shoulder. Besides, you might want to save your energy for when you actually get IN the park. The only other thing I would add in regards to renting a vehicle is that car thefts and break-ins have been a big problem in that area, particularly near the entrance to the park.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

Marsh Girl. You won't be dissappointed in hiring Leo Rodriguez. You will enjoy the wealth of information he will give you if you begin asking questions. He is considerate, prompt, polite, fun, speaks fluent English and French, A GOOD DRIVER, gives advice in a positive way about what to be careful about. I could go on and on. He knows the area well, so he will let you know the neatest things to see that others may not ever hear about. ENJOY

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around

Dyer, did not know I could get so excited about a trip. Can hardly type today!!! I have only heard good things about Leo and am really looking forward to meeting him. Thank you so much for your input.