We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quepos to Arenal Volcano

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Quepos to Arenal Volcano

My family will be staying in Quepos at the end of June. We really want to visit Arenal Volcano for the day but it appears to be quite a distance away. Is there anyone who has driven it there and back in a day? How long was the drive? What is the best route? Are there tour companies that drive you there for a day trip from Quepos or is it best to drive ourselves in our rental car?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

4.5-5 hours each way! No you can't do this as a reasonable daytrip.

If you simply want a volcano fix you are better off spending an extra night in the central valley near San Jose and driving to the top of Paos Volcano the next morning.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

I agree it is really too far to do it as a day trip almost 5 hour drive each way, leaving no time to enjoy the area. You would need to overnight in Arenal in you want to visit it .

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

100% agree with crfan and she knows our country...way to much driving for a day.

Of course like anything in life...it is possible...but a long day...I drove it a couple times but not fun...at the end my clients agree that was a little to much...

roadadvisor

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

We just drove it last month on a visit to CR (Arenal and Manuel Antonio)--it is a 5 hour, very curvy drive. I agree with everyone--not doable as a day trip. I also think that its better to have a driver--the roads are poorly marked and it is a long trip. There are some shuttles that do this trip (MA to Arenal)--although we didn't use them.

If you wanted to save some road time there are flights from Quepos to La Fortuna, Arenal--I think one nonstop per day--on natureair--but you'd still have to spend a night in La Fortuna. Message me if you have questions.

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

Thank you for the info. How long of a drive is Poas Volcano from San Jose? We are flying into San Jose around noon. Is there time to make a trip to Poas or Irazru before starting our drive to Quepos?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

Poas is an hour drive but it is best to go there in the morning better chances to see the crater. Irazu is totally in the opposite direction of where you are going. Maybe do a coffee tour doka or stop at sarchi

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

I am DYING to see a volcano, but we have a teenager, my husband is the driver who doesn't want to spend hours upon hours driving, and his his father will be with us making an out of the way trip difficult. Plus they don't want to do an overnight trip because we already have a timeshare booked in Quepos. I'm trying to figure something out.

So Poas isn't out of the way to Quepos? I'm thinking since our flight home leaves at 2:10pm maybe we could do an early morning trip to Poas on the way to airport. How early would I have to leave Quepos on a Sunday morning to get to Poas, spend a little time, and get to the airport in time to return a rental car. Is that really an option or am I just trying too hard to see a volcano?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

You would need to leave Manuel Antonio by 5:30am to be at the Volcano by 9:20am, have approx 1 hour to see the crater at the volcano and off to the airport (approx 1 hour drive to the airport) to drop off you car etc.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

We recently booked clients on a one day helicopter tour to Arenal/La Fortuna from Quepos......a day trip but very easy....and lots of fun......and expensive.....$4,200.

Tulemar Dave

10. Re: Quepos to Arenal Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:17