We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire ... sat nav?

Harroage, North...
5 posts
Save Topic
Car hire ... sat nav?

I have a 3 1/2 week break booked over Christmas and New Year and am looking at booking a hire car in the next few days and wondered if having a Sat Nav is necessary?

Ive got the first 2 weeks booked at Pueblo Real near Quepos but after think we will head to the Monteverde area and then over to the carribean coast.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

Hi suzie

I'd recommend it 100%. Some locals, or v regular CR visitors, on here may suggest a map is fine but trust me, it makes a world of difference having a SatNavt/GPS as it takes the stress out of driving to destinations. That way you can just concentrate on the driving and the beautiful scenery.

Also, since you're renting a car, have you had chance to peruse all the information provided on this forum regarding car hire in Costa Rica?

CR car hire can be a potential minefield of issues and being prepared in advance will be a massive assistance.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

Different approach here. I have been driving in Costa Rica without and with a GPS. IMHO using both is the best solution.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

Yes....get the GPS.......our roads are generally good.....but we don't have a lot of signs.....and no addresses or street names.......it really helps.

Tulemar Dave

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

I am a cheapskate at heart and normally do not rent a GPS. On our recent Costa Rica trip I did, on the spur of the moment, and was glad. I have driven all over the world, and found the roads in Costa Rica to be poorly marked. My wife is not that good with a map. If I was with somebody who could use a map well, I could have probably done ok without, but in hindsight am content that I did.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

i've driven close to 10k miles in cr so far, and i still take my gps along. as mentioned above, signage isn't the best and in some areas it is non existant. save yourself some stress and go with the gps.

california
Level Contributor
113 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

Speaking of rental car, I've always driven in my vacation including off roads, road to hana, glacier mountain regions and other parts of westen US.

However, with many recommendations, I'm working with a private driver for our family trip. For 3 legs of our trip we'll be picked up and dropped off and we are renting a car at arenal for 3 days.

Even though cost is about same, having a driver definately reduce my workload. HOWEVER, back of my mind, I keep thinking about renting a car for whole trip drive and stop at will and free.

We got 4 people with 2 kids who love road trip. What would you do? Either way is fine but one thing that really bothers me is the fact that rental cars are targetted for crime. Not sure whether I can risk that with my wife and 14 yr old daughter....

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

We LOVED having a rental car (WITH GPS! So handy in a country without many signs and with maps that show roads that don't exist!) and didn't feel that we were targeted for crime as long as we had our things out of the vehicle. At that point our vehicle (rented through Service Rent-A-Car in San Jose) really didn't have any identifying marks on it when we were out of it. I may be wrong but I believe the crime most speak of comes from cars/trucks full of luggage or valuables...not those that are empty of those things.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

Good idea bring a GPS...they work great...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Car hire ... sat nav?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:18