We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to eat

tpa
2 posts
Save Topic
place to eat

Any recommendations for a good place to stop to eat on the way from SJO airport to Arenal

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: place to eat

If you go the San Ramon-La Tigra route you won't find many places to stop along the way.

If you go by way of Naranjo-Zarcero-San Ramon, your options are much greater. One place I always like to stop at a little soda located between Naranjo and Zarcero. Its called something like El Mirador and as the name implies it has a great view (out over the valley towards Naranjo, Alajuela and San Jose) and the food is pretty good too. Along with the name I've also forgotten its exact location, but you can't miss it. Its on the right side of the road about 4kms before you get to Zarcero.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to eat

From San Jose to Arenal...by San Ramon...it is a nice little cafe at the right hand side of the road...at San Lorenzo cloud forest...is running by a group of people from Israel. They have a good menu!!

And along the way there are SODAS...

From San Jose to Arenal...by Zarcero...try in Zarcero El Rancho de Ceci...she is a great person and offer a lot of good options on her extensive TYPICAL menu!! The Hot chocolate is the best!!

If you see a place or menu that mention..CASADOS!! ask for them...casado is based on White Rice and Black beans...and somenthing else..like, fish, chicken, soup, steak..etc...you can choose one of them...and is served with bread or tortilla and a drink...the good thing about a good casado is the price...a good casado can starts at about $ 2.00 !! and is a FULL meal!!

Thank you.

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ricde in paradise!!

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: place to eat

I just noticed a confusing typo in my earlier post. That should be Naranjo-Zarcero-San Carlos not San Ramon.

San Ramon is no much more than 30 minutes or so from the airport down the PanAm Highway if that much. If you go that route, once you pass through San Ramon, you won't find much in even the way of sodas until you get pretty close to Fortuna.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to eat

If you drive the way of San Ramon...is a little cafe closed to San Lorenzo cloud forest...La Gran Vista Restaurant..about 45 minutes to an hour from San Ramon...half way to Arenal...is good decent food...and the cleanest bathrooms in many miles around!! Trust me!!

By Zarcero...I love to stop at Rancho de Ceci...is good costarican food..good service...and if Ceci the owner is around...just said hi to her...she is a very happy person!! The place is located in the way to Zarcero!! every body will tell you where is it!!

The best Hot Chocolate!!!

Luis. R.A

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

5. Re: place to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 05:28