We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus from San Jose to La Fortuna

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public bus from San Jose to La Fortuna

I would like to take the public bus from San Jose to La Fortuna on a Sunday morning at 8:30. I have heard that it is first come first serve. Does anyone have any idea how far ahead of time my family would need to arrive at the bus terminal to get a seat on this bus? Thank you.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Public bus from San Jose to La Fortuna

That's a tough one. I'd hate to give a time and say that would guarantee you a seat. If the bus is not full you could there a half hour before or maybe even less and take whatever seats are available. At this time of year, the bus "probably" won't be full (I know, famous last words). I'm not really sure how weekend vs. weekday or early vs later bus impact your odds. Personally, I'd get there at least an hour before to try a increase my odds by beating out any others that are also waiting until the last minute. Even if the bus is not full, the earlier you get there the more likely you may be able to pick out better seats.

At worst be prepared to go with the flow. There is another bus at 11:30. Get your tickets for that and use your extra couple of hours to maybe check out something downtown. For example the Mercado Central hops on Sunday mornings (just watch out for pickpockets). If that is too much for you take a stroll down the Pedestrian Mall and grab a brunch at the cafe at the Gran Hotel opposite the Teatro Nacional and the Plaza de la Cultura (great area for people watching). Most dowtown museums don't open until 10AM which doesn't leave you a lot of time to really explore them but the National Museum, which happens to be my personal favorite, opens at 9AM on Sundays and would provide you a good overview of the CR's history, flora and fauna before you go out and see it for yourselves.

Hopefully, you won't have any trouble catching the early bus, but it never hurts to have back-up plan.

2. Re: Public bus from San Jose to La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:16