We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Manuel Antonio to Nicaragua

Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Manuel Antonio to Nicaragua

I have 2 sons and a niece who are planning on leaving Manuel Antonio for Nicaragua. Is there a way to do this without going back to San Jose? Are there inexpensive flights from Quepos to there or is it best to fly to Liberia and then take a bus? Eventually they will go to Granada but I think they want to stop at San Juan Del Sur on the way.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Manuel Antonio to Nicaragua

Quepos does not have an international airport. You can't fly directly from there to anywhere outside the country inexpensively or not. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can't fly anywhere else even just in CR without flying through San Jose.

Whether you like it or not, your best (and really your only) option for getting to Nicaragua the same day is to fly back to San Jose catch another flight to Managua. Here is why.

By bus it will take at least 6.5 hours just to get from Quepos to Liberia (by way of Puntarenas). Even if you take the 4:30AM bus you won't get there until ~11:30 and the last bus for the border (another 2hrs away) leaves Liberia at 11:00. I suppose, if you get there by noon, you could take cab to the border. I'm not sure how much it would cost but I'd imagine it won't be cheap. If you take the next bus that leaves Quepos at 7:30, you could reach Liberia by 2PM but that would get you to border at 4PM at the earliest and I'm not sure how late they stay open.

What about flying? Nature Air has a flight that leaves Quepos at 7:40 and arrives in Liberia at 10:45 (after a stopover in SJ) for $115 if you can get a seat. That might just barely give you enough time to catch the bus 15 minutes later but that would be very tight. There's another flight at 10:45 arriving Liberia at 3:20PM which wouldn't be any better than the bus. Or you could fly Sansa at 9:40 getting into Liberia at 12:30 (after switching planes in SJ) for $151(?), but again too late for catching the 11AM bus.

So when you get down to it. They'll probably have to fly the whole way, stopover somewhere else along the way before San Juan del Sur or deal with a very long and trying day.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Manuel Antonio to Nicaragua

I think it is probably best to go back to San Jose, then take TicaBus or Nicabus to Nicaragua. They can get off this bus at Rivas to go to SJDS or go straight to Granada. Check out the Nica Forum, there are several threads about travel from CR to Nica

3. Re: Traveling from Manuel Antonio to Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:16