We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Must See" sites around San Jose

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Must See" sites around San Jose

Hi,

I will be going to Costa Rica for about 2 weeks in May. I'm now trying to put an itinerary togther and determine how many days I should spend in San Jose.

1. Suggestions for number of days to see the sites (museums, markets, city) in San Jose

2. Day trip suggestions from San Jose - either by tour or by bus.

Thanks for your help.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Must See" sites around San Jose

One day is adequate to see the major tourist attractions in downtown San Jose (gold museum, national theater, jade museum, walking tour of Barrio Amon). I would not recommend using San Jose as a base for day trips. It is too far from most tourist attractions and you will spend 2 hours each day just getting into and out of the metro area. Most visitors spend 1 day at the most in San Jose and then make a circle tour with 2-3 nights in each area. The most frequently recommended for 1st time visitors is Arenal/Monteverde/Manuel Antonio. You may want to add Tortugeuro if you are interested in turtles or another beach area in place of Manuel Antonio. Recommend a trvel guidebook to help you make decisions and a look at the excellent info on moon's website at

www.moon.com/planner/costa_rica/index.html.

Good luck planning!

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "Must See" sites around San Jose

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do plan on reviewing previous posts and a few guidebooks. But it's always good to get an inside perspective on these things.

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
25 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Must See" sites around San Jose

We just came back from our second trip to Costa Rica. One day is definitely enough for San Jose. Arenal and Monteverde are beautiful. We found the area around Manual Antonio very crowded and not particularly clean, but we also prefer more remote locations. The Osa Peninsula is breathtaking and not overrun by tourists. Bosque del Cabo is a fantastic lodge.

4. Re: "Must See" sites around San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 22:20