We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do from a base in San Jose

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What to do from a base in San Jose

I have JUST received an open invitation to stay in a friend's house in the outskirts of San Jose. I have never seriously considered a trip to CR, and don't have any sense of where to go or what to see. I don't think we could afford to go at all if we didn't have access to free accomodation. My question: is it worth going all the way to CR if we have to stay in San Jose? Can we do day trips or short overnight trips fron San Jose and get a good sense of wider CR? Is there enough for a familiy with young children (6 & 8) to enjoy in and around San Jose? Thanks posters for your help!!

1. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2008, 07:28
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

Thank you Werner. That gives me a good start for what to look at.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

I would suggest to look into a TWO-DAY rafting trip on the Pacuare river. San Jose is the normal departure for that trip. You stay overnite at a lodge on the river in the middle of the forest. It was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica and everyone on the rafting trip thoroughly enjoyed it. We used Rios Tropicales and were very pleased.

San Jose Costa Rica
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

You can do rafting but you have young children

better skip that, maybe when they have more years -14-15

Morristown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

i think it is worth going to Costa Rica. I don't know how many days you are staying there but i would spend one day at the Arenal volcano (all day trip) and then maybe wait a couple of days and go to the rainforrest (all day trip). I would not go rafting with kids of course. I would of course "explore" downtown San Jose (don't go too far out). But i would visit the National Theater and the National Museum. Both exellent places to visit.

Just to let you know, usually the volcano trips include in the price are both lunch and dinner.

With the rainforrest it is just lunch.

If you need any places to eat in San Jose, go to the News Cafe Avenida Central, Calles 7 y 9. Just go down Avenida Central and you will find it. Also El Patio also located on Avenida Central.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

Thanks all for your tips. I will save them as I decide whether or not to pursue. At this point, I have NOTHING planned. I came to you first! I just wasn't sure if San Jose was a good place to have as a base for a vacation, or wheter the best of Costa Rica is too far from San Jose to make that practical. It sounds like we could enjoy a week in San Jose (thanks to my wonderful friends) and still get out and see some great things. Hmmm - now, to a budget...

7. Re: What to do from a base in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 04:19