We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach to visit in September

new york, ny
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach to visit in September

What is the best beach to visit during our stay in Costa Rica during the first week in September. I was reading about Jaco, Tamrindo, Coco Beach. My group of three are going to split our time between visiting a beach town and San Jose. Our last minute trip is right around the corner. We are planning on doing all the adventure activies first couple of days. ie zip line, rafting, deep sea fishing. What beach town would be best to be based out of for these activites. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach to visit in September

The best beaches to visit in September are on the Caribbean side (Cahuita, Puerto Viejo etc.) as there is a significant amount of rain on the Pacific side which is where the towns you mentioned are located. The Caribbean side has mostly sun during September. Now if you do not mind getting wet, you can definitely find great zip lines, rafting and fishing on the Pacific although with the cost of fishing I do not know if I would fish in the Pacific given the weather. If you do go to the Pacific I would stay away from Tamarindo and especially Jaco. Tamarino is extremely touristy and somewhat over built (although some people do not mind it and actually enjoy it) and Jaco is basically a Cesspool. I have been to the Caribbean but am not as familiar with it as I am with the Pacific so I will defer to the people who are much more knowledgeable/live there to recommend specific activities/location. I do know the Caribbean is beautiful, very laid back and has great wild life viewing. The culture there is a bit different than the rest of CR as it has more of a Jamaican type of flavor to it, but definitely good people. Unless you have specific activities you want to do in San Jose I would recommend spending as little time there as possible. The rest of the country, regardless of where you go, is much more beautiful and interesting.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach to visit in September

The Caribbean side (Puerto Viejo area) has the best weather for September:

www.tropicalreservations-cr.com/weather.html

Check your message in box....

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach to visit in September

You chose the peak of the rainy season for your trip. The majority of the rainy season just means rain in the afternoon and/or evening but September and October can have torrential downpours that last all day. The Carribean side has rain throughout the year unlike the rest of the country but less rain during that time of the year. for that reason you may want to look into Puerto Viejo.

If you choose to go to the Pacific side I would not necessarily choose the destinations on your list for the reason previously advised by the other poster. Manuel Antonio would be good for all of the activities you listed. MA has the advantage of things tourists like but there are also some smaller places that you might like too if you don't want touristy. Those activities will be easier found in touristy areas like MA. For instance Quepos, which is basically the same place as MA is the top place for deep sea fishing.

4. Re: Best Beach to visit in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 19:17