We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night in San Jose

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Night in San Jose

We are flying into SJO on December 30th at about 11pm. We are looking for somewhere inexpensive and easy to get to and from the airport, but not really crappy. We are leaving the next morning to drive to the Arenal Volcano, so we have to return to the airport to get the rental car...any suggestions on where we can stay just for our night in San Jose?

On another note, how far is the GAIA hotel from SJO (for the way back)??

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#1 of 78 hotels in San Jose
Hotel Casa Cambranes
Hotel Casa Cambranes
#3 of 78 hotels in San Jose
Apartotel La Sabana
Apartotel La Sabana
#4 of 78 hotels in San Jose
Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night in San Jose

The airport is in Alajuela, not San Jose, so if you need to return to the airport to get your rental car, don't bother with a San Jose hotel. Look in the town of Alajuela instead where there are many choices. For a budget travelor, Hotel Brilla Sol is good. They include free airport transfer in their rates and it is about 5 minutes from the airport.

However, I'd suggest that you check with your rental company. Many of them are able to deliver your car to your hotel on your first morning for a modest charge. A great way to avoid airport traffic and get a head start on your trip. Well worth the cost.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night in San Jose

Thanks!

I havent decided on a rental car company yet.

Any suggestions? Hopefully one with a lower deposit requirement.

Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night in San Jose

I stay at the Orchideas Inn when I arrive and leave in San Jose. Its colorful, clean, safe and the restaurant is good. I usually rent a car and they have a gate and a 24 hour guard. Its a little under $100 for a double. Its worth it to me for the convenience and security.

Volcan Poas is close by. You should check it out if you have time. It is inactive so you can go and check out the crater. Its very impressive. Make sure you get there very early. It tends to get covered by clouds so your best viewing time is at sunrise.

Mytraveloptimizer

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night in San Jose

I'm a big fan of Vamos for rental cars.

This is one of the companys that rents older cars and you may or may not feel comfortable with that. You can search and find lots of posts comparing the pros and cons of various rental companies. They've been great for us. They will do a hotel drop off and you can rent a GPS and a cell phone, too, if you want. Their quotes are very clear. They do run a slip for a large deposit on our credit card, but they tear it up when we return the car. Not a problem. Just call you credit card company and warn them in advance that this will be needed. You might even find your credit card company willing to increase your credit limit to cover this credit hold for you.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
369 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night in San Jose

I have also stayed at Hotel Brilla Sol a few times when arriving in San Jose. It's a ten minute drive from the airport, inexpensive, has a lovely garden and a refreshing pool, good breakfast, motel-style rooms...basic but fine for a short stay. It's gated so you feel safe and secure. Buena suerte and pura vida!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
6. Re: One Night in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 15:18