We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FL
14 posts
Save Topic
Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

Can I get a car rental north of SJO to avoid driving in SJO...I need the car company to pickup/dropoff at the airport. Any advise would be greatly taken. Going to Areanl then Tamarindo then back- should I get a 4X4 for this trip

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

The airport is north of San Jose - which means that just about every car rental agency is in the vicinity. Since you are going toward Arenal, there is no reason to go through San Jose. Just get on the highway toward San Ramon - SJ will be in the opposite direction.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

You do not need a 4x4 to go to Arenal or Tamarindo...maybe a GPS!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

Reading my post looks like if I did answer your question in a sarcastic way...when I mentioned the GPS...please my idea was to offer you some good advice! SORRY!

Sincerely yours from PARADISE!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

Stacy,

Actually the SJO airport in Alajuela is more west than it is north of San Jose, but that is okay because Arenal and Tamarindo are also west.

Aside from that bit of nitpicking, I'd also take exception to your other comment about needing the car company to pickup/dropoff at the airport. You do NOT need or want them to do that as that will mean an additional 12% on your rental bill. That is much more than just nitpicking. Instead, take the shuttles and go to one of the nearby rental car agencies to pick up your car.

5. Re: Car rental north of SJO-to avoid driving in SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 17:17