We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rafting

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
rafting

Hi, Has anyone taken the rafting trip out of San Jose to Pacuare River. Its a one day trip including breakfast and lunch. They will then drop you off in San Jose , Arenal or Puerto Viejo. Its though Gecko Trail Adventures and is $99 per person.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rafting

Yes it is...breakfast...lunch and round trip transportation...the price is correct !

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rafting

Hi, I'll be honest with you. I've never heard of them, but they look great. And that's the best price that i've seen so far.

I'd love to hear your experience!

Have fun,

Marina K. Villatoro

http://travelexperta.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rafting

Rios Tropicales is a very popular company with a great reputation and offers this tour for the same price. I'm not saying Gecko Trail Adventures isn't as good, I just haven't heard of them before.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rafting

I've heard of them before but haven't used them myself. From all I've heard they're very reputable. Colinsito the DE for the Puerto Viejo area probably has better info on them.

That $95-100 is actually a fairly standard price for that trip. Rios Tropicales (www.riostropicales.com/packages.php…) is probably the largest and most well known company organizing that trip and they also charge $99.

Aventuras Naturales had been another biggie but you don't see people posting about them so much any more. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they don't have their own website but http://www.crica.com/tours/pacuare1.htm lists their 1 day Pacuare trip at just $95.

But I don't believe either of those 2 companies provide the option of being picked up and dropped off in different places or, if they do, may charge something extra for that extra service. And I believe that was a key part of jjjfish's post since he quoted Gecko's rate including drop off in a different location (their rate for same city pick-up and drop-off is actually $95).

The third major player in the Pacuare Rafting arena is Exploradores (https:/…pacuare-rafting.html) and they also charge $99. Unlike the others they offer pick-up and drop-off in either San Jose or Arenal (Fortuna), and at no extra charge, but I don't believe that Puerto Viejo is one of their options.

Besides that, the difference of a few bucks should not be the only factor in choosing different rafting companies. If you're looking to mix rafting with being able to transport yourself between either SJ or Arenal and PV (or vice versa), then this outfit might be the best way to go even if it costs you a little more. Still someone might want to check to see if any of these other companies might offer the PV option and if so at what extra cost (if any). If nothing else that might encourage them to open that up and increase everyone's options as well as bring greater competition between the different tour outfitters.

BTW, IMHO, the rising cost of raft trips in CR is yet another example of how tourism pricing has gotten way out of hand in CR. Similar length and level w/w rafting trips in other developing countries in Central and South America typically cost about half of what they do in CR. But I guess the tico rafting companies are just charging what the market will bear, so who can blame them. There are thousands and thousands of tourists to CR who happily or grudgingly pay these outrageous prices for these trips (including me). This is evidenced by the increasing crowds of tourist laden rafts on these rivers with each passing year. However, speaking only for myself, this is one more reason that I've been looking more and more beyond CR for places to visit.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rafting

We at Hotel Banana Azul work with Gecko Trail Adventures on almost all our tours and transport.

We prefer it then directly working with tour companies as they are more concerned about customer satisfaction then the actual tour companies.

Because they book so many trips, they have more clout then just a hotel that sends them the odd tours.

We get very good feedback from our clients on them as so many of our customers need guidance since it is their first time traveling in Costa Rica. They provide that guidance when we can't. You can see comments here: http://geckotrail.com/comments.htm

As for rafting, they work with a few companies. Prices can vary a little depending on your needs. They charge they same prices that people are charged if you work with them directly. They are paid with commissions only. They do not add booking fees.

6. Re: rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 05:16