We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

On the beach
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

Would like some recommendations for the best aerial tram through the rainforest as well as a good coffee farm tour. We are hosting a senior family member (80 years old) and thought the tram would be a nice treat. Are the coffee farm tours strenuous?

Costa Rica City Square Tours
City Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Paradise Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

The Rain Forest Aerial Tram is best located in a 1,200 acre private nature preserve a short distance from San Jose and bordering Braulio Carrillo National Park.

www.dokaestate.com most authentic tour not hard...

Have fun,

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

We did the combo tour-Butterfly Farm and Britt Coffee tour. The coffee tour was ok but had more of a theater production with what seemed to be actors giving the info. Must say it was very entertaining but probably not so authentic as others?? We had coffee tasting, video and live history of coffee presentations, tour of the packaging plant, and great souvenir store-can have everything shipped to your home!! This tour which included lunch at Britt was relaxing, not strenuous-we are in our mid-late 60s. The advice of the Rainforest Aerial tram by previous poster would be a fine choice. Braulio Carrillo NP is very beautiful. This would also be very relaxing tour.

On the beach
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

The Pacific Rainforest Tram near Jaco looks perfect, but does anyone know if it is a long or strenous walk from parking to the tram itself? Our senior guest is healthy but long walks might not work for her.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

Agree with qwovadis...The Aerial Tram and Doka coffee tour...cafe Britt is just marketing...actors and more actors...not a bad show...but a show at the end!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

You posted this in the SAN JOSE forum, so the obvious choice for aerial tram is the ATLANTIC aerial tram. Now you're saying you think the PACIFIC aerial tram near JACO is the one you're leaning towards. Apparently, not knowing your FULL travel plans for CR can make a real difference. Are you aware there are also a highly popular aerial tram near Arenal and Monteverde (called "Sky Tram")? So which one is "best"?

I confess I really don't know the differences between these different aerial trams much beyond just their locations, but I imagine the differences are probably not all THAT significant. It may depend more on other personal factors that you haven't revealed to us. For example, are you even planning to go to Arenal? How many members are there in your group total? RFAT-Atlantic has smaller gondolas holding just 6 people including your guide which might make either more intimate or require your group to split in 2 depending on its size. What other things do you want to do at each area that will be competing for your time there? And what, if any, other features available with the various Aerial Trams might she or the other members of your group interested in? Let me explain this last point. With the Sky Tram near Arenal, you can all take the Tram up the volcano together but the more adventurous members of your group can descend on the "Sky Trek" ziplines while you and your mom continue back down on the tram. And between the Atlantic and Pacific Aerial Trams, you should be aware their reserve on the Atlantic side is about 6 times the size and has more other attractions (such as walking trails which your mom won't be interested but some others might be and such features as a butterfly and frog garden. If all you just want to do the tram then these extra features won't mean anything to you.

One last thing to consider is that there ARE ecological differences between these various places. For example, the Pacific Aerial Tram is located much closer to the coast (sea-level) in a transitional zone between tropical dry and wet forests. The Atlantic Aerial Tram is at a much higher elevation and more of a transitional area between rain and cloud forests. What does that mean for you? Probably nothing. There are different things to see in the different environments (and also a lot of overlap). But I just thought you should know.

----------

What about the Coffee Farm Tour? Personally, I agree with the others that the Doka tour is the most informational of the 2 most popular tours (Doka and Britt). If it were just for me, I'd choose Doka. However, I think there are actually a number of factors that MIGHT make Cafe Britt a better choice for you.

First of all, there USED to be a Cafe Britt / Aerial Tram combo tour. I don't know if it even still exists or whether these were 2 tours you wanted to do on the same day, but I thought you should be aware that some sort of package price might be available.

Secondly, the skit they put on at Cafe Britt is certainly amateurish and hokey. Those seeking a more mature and informational experience may be put off by it. I saw it more as being educational and amusing (in a kitschy way) at the same time. I've long said that the very play itself actually makes it a BETTER choice for those with small children or for those not seeking a hard-core educational experience as much as a simple enjoyable yet still educational afternoon or morning. After all, how much detail do any of us really remember about the coffee processing process a month after we get home. Now that your question has been raised, I might also extend more recommendation for Cafe Britt to groups like yours for one very simple reason. Unlike when you're walking through a coffee field and processing plant, when you go to Cafe Britt much more of your time is spent absorbing the information while you're SITTING DOWN enjoying the show. That by itself might make it more enjoyable for your senior.

------

Some other bits of advice for those traveling with less than spry seniors. I took my Mom to CR a few years ago. She was a little younger than your senior but she still got quite tuckered out traveling around (even just from the DRIVES from place to place). Most younger people planning trips to CR, err on the side of planning to do TOO MUCH stuff. When you travel with a senior you need to err on the side of having enough DOWN TIME, at least for them if not for you. With my mom, we tried to do mostly stuff that she was capable of, but a lot of the time she just wanted to take it easy (sitting on the hotel porch reading a book, enjoying the sounds of nature or even taking an afternoon nap) and we would either hang out with her or more likely, at her urging, go off and do all those activities we couldn't do while we were with her. So, at the very least, you need to consider providing a comfortable and enjoyable place for your senior to rest while the rest of you go galavanting off. But you might also appreciate places where they and any companion can go on more sedate activities while those that want to can split off and go on their more active ones.

Another idea, which MIGHT help your senior, is to get her one of those folding chair walking canes. To be honest, I got one for my mom (after getting back from CR) and I don't think she has ever used it. But they DO make a lot of sense for someone who has to do a lot of walking (which is at least to some extent unavoidable touring CR) but tires easily. These things are very light and portable, not that large or that expensive and provide a place to sit down and rest comfortably no matter where you are (sitting down on a fallen tree trunk or rock in a rainforest is a guaranteed way to get a wet tush).

6. Re: Best aerial tram and coffee tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:18