We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Costa Rica-New smile, Mario Bonilla, D.D.S.

First i would like to say they were very nice, but nice does not mean it is a good job. I am happy with the amount of time it took and the price BUT I am not pleased with the overall treatment. Today only two months later I had to go in to get half of the work redone by a dentist over here. The fillings fell out, some of the old silver fillings that were to be changed for white were still under the new fillings. That may have been why the new fillings did not stick. The dentist today told me it was a really poor job. Also my gums were badly cut up after the procedure, and it took around twenty painful times to fit the crown in my mouth. He may be good at dental implants I am not really sure as I did not have this procedure done.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Sorry to hear that...

DENTAVAC Dr. Arturo Acosta and Dr. Luis Baez worked in my teeth many years ago here in Costa Rica...while living in Carmel California years later...and a small accident took me to a local dentist Dr.Tony Ricardi...he was so impress with my dental work...he toll me sorry but I can not beleive this work could be done in a country like Costa Rica...it is just the best!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Eight years ago I went to a dentist in San Jose for an exam. She sat me down and we talked for 30 minutes about my dental problems as she explained my x-ray. What dentists in the USA would take that much time to explain things with you?

In the USA, just before I moved to Costa Rica, the last words from my dentist, as he opened my mouth for a look, "I don't do preventive dentistry." He gave me a new toothbrush and said better to have the work done in Costa Rica. It did not sink in at the time what he was saying.

What he meant is that because I had Dental Insurance which didn't pay him his normal rate, so he pawned me off to his assistant. She did such poor work that it was going to have to be done all over again! And he didn't want to be responsible.

In Costa Rica I spend 20 hours in a dental chair where they systematically fixed the problems caused by a life time of bad USA dentistry. Problems that they consistently told me were my fault for not brushing right, etc. They real problems was that their work made my teeth crooked and, as a result, I developed gum problems around several teeth.

The Costa Rican dentists took the time and fixed more than a dozen problems. They took off crowns and straightened them, fixed poorly placed filling or replaced them with porcelain, etc.

They make crowns right on the premises and work shoulder-to-shoulder with employees of their own lab to get them right... the first time.

The result is that I have had Zero problems in 8 years! I really get angry when I think of what the USA dental profession did to me, and that last dentists saying, "I don't do preventative dentistry."

Would I trust a Costa Rican Dentist? You bet!

Prisma Dental, Costa Rica

506-2291-5151

Dr. Josef Cordero and his wife Dra Thelma Rubinstein

They saved my teeth and my quality of life. Tell them Wayne from Tamarindo told you about them and says Hi and Thanks Again!

Fort Lauderdale FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Thank you for the responses, I should have made myself clearer. I did not realize that the post came off as if I thought all dentists in the country were bad, because that is not the case. Sorry for that. I just wanted people to know what happened to me and think about picking someone else over there. I have complete faith in Dentists in Costa Rica. I think that I just picked the wrong one. I had read a review before I went about New Smile saying they are very nice people but that the person was having problems with the work now that they are back home. It was after I had made the appointment and they were so nice on the phone I looked the other way. I believe it is a great thing to go to a beautiful country like Costa Rica, have dental work done by nice caring people that take the time to explain things, and save a lot of money. I just wanted to make sure that other people did not go to the place I went to, and get disappointed.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Yes, you should always do your homework, with a dentist, with any medical procedure. I researched dentists in Costa Rica for over six months. Asked for recommendations, spoke with friends of friends, friends in CR and finally settled on Prisma Dental.

I received many emails from them discussing the work I would need and the expected costs, with options.

Over the years, dentists in the US had routinely provided substandard care at very high prices. Add that to lingering pain for months after root canals and overall bad experience made me feel there had to be a better way.

Now, one year later, I could not be happier and are thrilled to refer anyone to Drs. Cordero and Rubenstein!

I think the final final was 6 crowns, 1 bridge, 1 root canal (absolutely pain free), several teeth whitening sessions and a great fit! I spent several full days in the chair and yes, was very tired and exhausted, got temps and then sat on the beach for 4 days, returned for the final placement and fitting. Wow! Finished my vacation again on the beach, enjoying the new feel of my mouth!

I feel that the doctors took this as a personal challenge and have given me "good mouth health" plus a great smile! Thanks to everyone at Prisma and hola from Annie de Nuevo Mexico!

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Rob, sorry that you had problems with your CR dentist but here is my experience.

We came from the UK to CR for an extended vacation in 2007 and I had 10 fantastic top front crowns done at Dentavac by Dr Luis Baez in Escazu. My own UK dentist was amazed at the work. Four of the crowns were replacements, the others purely cosmetic.

I did a lot of research and sent Dr Baez panoramic X Rays so he did have some idea of what I wanted. Even the temporary crowns were better than I'd had!!

The hygiene of the surgery was second to none and all the staff were really great.

Dr Baez was totally honest with me on the very first visit and said that he would have liked to have more time to put braces on my teeth for while (9 months to a year) and THEN do the work. He also said that he would have liked to do some gum work so that I have an even gum line. This was to get the "perfect smile" but I am very happy with the results.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Hello all. In general, its great to know that overall reviews about medical procedures, including dentistry, are getting so many good reviews. I understand prices are sometimes half of what you'd pay in other countries with same or much better quality of procedures. Again, as everybody has mentioned... well, its not perfect, and there are some good and some better doctors. Education in CR is, in general terms, very good, and the Universities (both public and private) really do their work graduating professionals in the complete sense of the world. University of Costa Rica graduates get excellent jobs for their good background and education...

And now with all the recovery hotels available like Chetica ranch... the possibilities for those coming down here for that medical tourism are wonderful.

as I local, I wish I could afford even the good CR prices.. LOL... there's so much I would get fixed :) HA HA HA..

Good day my friends

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

correction... sense of the WORD not WORLD... Id better start typing at a slower pace... :)

Chicagp
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

Rob I don´t know what happened in your case with the fillings, since it was not a major procedure as mine was.

Last year (2008) I had my full mouth reconstructed with dental implants by Dr. Mario Bonilla at New Smile Dental Group and it was the best experience I have ever had in my whole life. The staff was very helpful and caring people and I don´t have words to say how satisfied I am with the dental work.

My life came back and Dr. Mario Bonilla saved me since I was totally convinced about the "All on 4" by Clear Choice and at New Smile Dental Group I got "All on 8" saving about US$50,000.

I think is not worth to say that he is not a great dentist just for few failed fillings..

Think about it!..

9. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 21:50
10. Re: Dental work in Costa Rica, do your research first

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 21:51