We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer and food prices

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
beer and food prices

In colones what would I expect to pay for a beer in bars in San jose? Also how much do u usually tip bartender for a drink? Are there any sub shops or fast food places downtown?

1. Re: beer and food prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 06:44
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beer and food prices

Depending on the place, you could pay anywhere between 1,000 and 2,000 for a beer. I usually tip as I would in the US. Good bartenders work just as hard in CR as they do in the US.

As for food, may I ask why you are comming to CR to eat fast food? Try some of the local food. It is probably cheaper and definately better and healthier. Anyway, there are McDonalds, Subway but I have no idea how much food there would cost.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beer and food prices

1000-2000 colones for beer at a bar (or ~$2-4) is definitely in the high range. The price at a certain highly popular bar in Gringo Gulch is 1000c for an Imperial plus the 10% service fee that they've already INLCUDED on your tab for a total of 1100c. Tico bars (e.g. Chelles) charge a little less. 2000c would have to be for a premium beer or at a "premium priced place" (e.g. News Cafe or the Patio).

If the drink was sold to me at "gringo pricing" and the tip has already been included in the price they charged, I only tip extra if the service has been particularly good or else just leave the smaller loose change. At one of the bars that I suspect you're going to be spending a lot of time at, the wait staff can already do quite well from other very generous overtipping gringos. Some of the staff at that bar are known for often shortchanging drunk gringos and/or delaying returning with change on the hope that the customer will forget and move on. Always try to pay as you go with the exact amount you owe (plus any tip you care to give) and, if you do run a tab, always check over your final bill very carefully. Between any service charges and non-existent drinks, you might find that you've already been charged a very generous "tip".

Fast food prices? I don't recall either since I've only once tried US-type fast food in CR and very rarely ever eat that type of food even back in the US. But it seems to me it actually costs a little more than back home for the US based franchises like MacDonalds and KFC (and the food they serve doesn't taste the same or seem as good). I agree with the previous poster that you should always try to go with the local foods when you're traveling. They tend to be much better and cheaper. Wierdly enough, amongst the locals US-based fast food franchises are very popular. Fried chicken joints like KFC are particularly popular throughout Central America. Personally, I much prefer the roast chicken places. Local fast food chains like Rosti Pollo aren't too bad, but the independent places (like Pollo Campesino on the left side of Calle 7 just past Avenida 2) are usually the best options and just 2000-2500c will definitely fill you up. Another good local cheap eats place in the heart of Gringo Gulch that you might try is Chelles Bar y Soda on the SW corner of Calle 9 and Avenida Central. It is an SJ institution and is open 24 hours/day. You can get a decent sized empanada and a soft drink there for not much more than 1000c. And if all you want is a slice of pizza and a small fruit drink to go with it, 1000c will cover it at the sidewalk places across from the bus stops on Avenida Central on the other side of Calle 9.

BTW, if you stay at the Santo Tomas, like you mentioned in another thread, you should definitely try out Soda Peru which is just around the corner on Calle 3b.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer and food prices

TICO bars around 500.00 colones a beer...and I will tip as I will tip a good USA bartender!

Yes a lot of SODAS and sandwiche places...even the big American franchises!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: beer and food prices

Luis,

With beer being charged at some of the gringo tourist places at more than DOUBLE what is normally charged at the tico places and an AUTOMATIC tip being charged on TOP of that, you should be able to understand why I'd be reluctant to leave much of an ADDITIONAL tip. Gouge the Gringo is increasingly the most popular game in town and that is a game I don't really like to play. That is all the more reason to get off the usual well-beaten gringo tourist path and visit the places regular ticos go (although even there you'll sometimes run into hidden or not so hidden dual pricing)

6. Re: beer and food prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 06:20