We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica trip in October

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica trip in October

I am planning a trip with a buddy of mine down to Costa Rica in October. We will be flying in San Jose and we want to spend 6 nights in Punta Uva (PU)and 3 nights in the Arenal area. From a logistic point of view, should we go to PU first or go to Arenal first or does it matter? We would probably take a bus to either area from San Jose. What is the best way to get from PU to Arenal or vice versa? Any recommendations on places to stay in both areas? Has anyone used the Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) website for these areas and have a good experience? Any other must see or must do suggestions for either area would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

Hi Rob...It really does not make that much difference if you go first to Arenal or PU...

Take a bus to Puerto Viejo from San Jose...

To get to Arenal...good way is coming from PU...drive to Guacimo and take the road to Sarapiqui...all the way to Puerto Viejo...then to Aguas Zarcas...to La Fortuna if you have a car...if you do not have a car...maybe get all the way back to San Jose and take the bus to La Fortuna...

In Punta Uva...Arrecifes...simple...simple place...about $40.00 per double room...place is located 20 meters from the ocean...some times is hard to sleep the waves are so noisy...just kidding ...but in a way is true...

In Arenal...to many places to mention all of them...I love Silencio del Campo!

If you need any more help in Arenal you can mail: info@arenalreservations.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

hi there! october is a nice month to visit the Caribbean, good weather!

As far as logistics is concerned there is not much difference on which area you go first to, but in my my opinion, I would go first to arenal and then Punta Uva, just because I always like to leave the beach portion of my trip to the end, that way I can really relax and finish up the trip with the more laid back kind of activity.

You can get to these areas, if planning on taking the bus, either with shuttle services like those provided by Interbus or Grayline or Public bus.

I've heard about VRBO here on TA but have never used their services so I cant comment on that, sorry.

Good luck and have a great trip

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

Just returned from a trip to Carib side. You might try typing the name of the place from VRBO into the search box, while on the Puerto Viejo page, for example. I remember that El Tucan was reviewed on the Puerto Viejo page some time ago. Another one from vrbo I considered in Punta Uva area is Robinson Beach, something like that. http://puertoviejosatellite.com/ might also help. Also, you could contact the destination experts from tripadvisor, or the dive shops or tour operators (like Gecko Trail)with questions. I really enjoyed the Full Day Jungle Adventure, www.geckotrail.com/tour.htm?tid=jungadv as well as a visit to the Jaguar Rescue Center near Punta Uva where we saw baby monkeys, a jaguar, 2 baby sloths, snakes, etc. I visted Arenal in Feb. I loved rafting the Rio Toro with Desafio. Just rafted Rio Pacuare with Exploradores Outdoors partly because provided transport from Puerto Viejo to San Jose, plus rafting, all in one day, to allow me to fly home the next day. Some of the available activities are similar in both Arenal and on the Carib side. I would pick different ones in each area for a good contrast. Keep using trip advisor to get the good, the bad, and the ugly. It will pay dividends.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

Hey!

It really doesn't matter. Many people start with Arenal because that's where you get your adventure tours and activities and then head to Punta Uva for relaxation.

There are plenty of shuttles going to Arenal and to Punta Uva. However, there are no shuttles between the two.

You can do one of 3 things:

1. Take a private car

2. Return to San Jose and take a shuttle or public bus to Punta Uva - that will be a very long day!

3. rent a car- it's the best of the 3, you have freedom, it's not to expensive and the roads are in great condition.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

Usually head to www.arenal.net first

www.arenalparaiso.com

then for some chill time finish at

www.pachamamacaribe.com

www.vrbo.com is a good value service for CR

Have fun,

6. Re: Costa Rica trip in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:17