We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip in Dec

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip in Dec

My girlfriend and I are traveling to CR Dec 7 to 21. We are Canadian, and in our mid 20's. We like beaches, nature, scuba, natural sites, and local pubs/bars. We are cheap and plan to utilize public bus and bare-bones hostels. We plan to spend about a $1000 each which is about 70$ per day.

Current itinerary:

-arrive at San Jose spend one night at Galileo Hostel do banking, see a few sites in SJ

-leave for arenal via public bus the next morning and spend 2 nights in el castillo

jeep-boat-jeep to Monteverde - another two nights

public bus/ferry to the beaches, spend the week traveling to diff beach towns staying or moving on based on our desires. We plan to take public bus or hitchhike from town to town.

take a bus back to San Jose and fly home

Feel free to answer my specific questions or add other tips.

1. We want spend the 2nd week at beaches. Is it easier or better to get there from Monteverde via Puntarenas and ferry traveling the coast from south to north or should we leave from Arenal and take the public bus from Fortuna to the beaches via Liberia and head north to south?

2. Is hitchhiking shorter trips a viable option - thinking fortuna to el castillo where we plan to stay at Arenal. also from beach town to beach town.

3. How nice is the beach at Manuel Antonio. The more I read the more I feel foolish for not putting it in the itinerary. But if we can combine that with our beach time in the second week, it sounds like it might be worth the travel time.

4. Best beaches for turtles?

Thanks!

1. Re: 2 week trip in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 13:55
Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip in Dec

Oh, and I forgot, you asked about beaches for turtles - Tortuguero is in the northern part of the Caribbean. It is named for the tortugas (turtles).

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip in Dec

1.would do public bus via Liberia do pacific beaches north to south.

www.tamarindo.com www.playasamara.net or Nosara for turtles

perhaps www.zumatours.net for some Tortuga Scuba at

www.playamontezuma.net.

2.public xport preferable to hitching watch your stuff

3.www.manuelantoniopark.com best beaches inside the park

4.Beaches around Nosara best for turtles..

Have fun,

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip in Dec

HI! If I were you, this time I would stick to the North Pacific beaches North and South - just to avoid the extra expense. You will find the southern beaches at either Nosara or Samara really worth seeing, as well as even farther south to Malpais / Santa Teresa / Montezuma. There's lots to see here. Moreover, as my fellow poster mentioned, I also advice against hitch hiking here in Costa Rica, its really not that common and probably because of that, not safe enough. You'll be better off using public transportation and shuttles and or taxis when possible.

I love Manuel Antonio, so if you finally decide to put into your itinerary you wont be disappointed at all. You will find theres lots to do there to fit into your interests and wants.

Have fun

5. Re: 2 week trip in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 05:17