We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see in San Jose

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Things to see in San Jose

I will be spending 2 days in San Jose. what is there to see? in between i am heading to arenal and jaco so i will do all the tours and ziplines. But i specifically want to know what we should check out while in San Jose. thanks.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Don't waste any time in San Jose, just my opinion.

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see in San Jose

yes i am aware of this. but we are staying there the night we arrive, and the night before we leave. We should have a few hours to see anything there is to see. THats what im inquiring about. we are spending 8 days elsewhere in the country as well. i know it may not be the most glamorous party of the country. but it is part of costa rica and i do want to check it out in all its glory.

There has to be something worth seeing in san jose, otherwise we will just wander the streets. :-) we are a group of 6 from New york so we arent too worried about being in an urban environment. We are all pretty street smart and use common sense even when traveling.

Thanks.

Edited: 02 December 2009, 23:35
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Take taxis everywhere, traffic is crazy and drivers more crazy, Central Market is great, and several museums to visit. Visit Poas Volcano and coffee plantations, Lots of nightlife, be careful.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Maybe a visit to Archeological Museum...Jade Museum...Gold Museum... Central market...short visit to Costa Rica University Campus...

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see in San Jose

thanks. the coffee plantation sounds cool. how far is that from downtown san jose.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see in San Jose

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g309227-d943…

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
479 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Staying in downtown San Jose is out of your way if you are heading to Arenal and Jaco. The airport is out in the country near the coffee plantations and Poas Volcano. I would stay somewhere in that rural area. It is much more beautiful.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Doka coffee tour about one hour from San Jose...or 45 minutes from Alajuela..nice tour!

Cafe Britt tour as anything from Britt is a fake theatrical tour!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to see in San Jose

Juan Santamaria International Airport...is only about 15 minutes from San Jose...is not at a rural area...my GOD!

If you like to experience our larger city...do it...is not a lovely colonial city...but if you visit it with a positive attitude you will have fun!

roadadvisor

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to see in San Jose

try La Paz Waterfall Gardens, an hour from San Jose

National Theater

I agree about getting a taxi or a driver, I do and I live in San Jose