We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

Hi. I arrive in Costa Rica at SJO at 10:50am on a Saturday. I want to book a 12:00pm Sansa flight. Is that enough time between flights? Not sure how efficient or quick SJO runs or if they have any special international procedures upon check in. What does anyone think?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

JSOTO 1201....my personal opinion...way to close connection...most of the time it takes at least 45 minutes to clear costums and migration...if more flights are there even more time...we have cars there almost every day at that time...and some times we wait up to 90 minutes to meet our passengers...of cours some times also they cleared up in 30 minutes...but that is most of the time for single person with only a small carry on...

The only special they have...is for handicap people...but it will not make much difference.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

Agree with Luis, this is cuttng it too close IMO. There are possiblities of delays in your incoming flight, immigration delay, baggage hold ups. Any number of things could happen which may hinder your ability to catch the flight. Sansa is outside of the main SJO terminal, an approx. 5 minute walk, so you would need to clear all immigration and customs before even venturing over to Sansa. In a perfect world, it might work but don't plan on it being that way. Take the safe route and plan a later flight, if nothing else for peace of mind and ease of transition. Have a fun and safe time in CR!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

I had just written you a long and detailed reply and hit the wrong button and it went into a "black hole" somewhere in cyberspace - so I will try again.

Anyway i agree with Roadadvisor. It is cutting it way to close.

In a perfect world, it would be fine - but...

First you have to assume that your flight will be on time.

These days things seem to be going smoothly and quickly at SJO. First you have to clear immigration. They look at your passport and the form you were given on the plane.

The last 2 times we were out in between 5 minutes and half an hour. However, it all depends on how many planes have landed at the same times as yours and where yours is in the mix. So as RA says it can often take an hour or more. And you can never know what the situation will be on your day.

Once you get your baggage and exit the baggage claim area, you have to get to SANSA which is in another small terminal. Though it is not far -if walking I would allow about 10 minutes. Then I think SANSA wants you checked in at least half an hour before flight time.

For some reason it seems that it you cut yourself short in time - Murphy's law seems to kick in - but if you allow alot of time everything goes smoothly.....

Another consideration before I would think about it would be to find out what SANSA would do for you if you do miss the flight. I am not sure - but I think I have heard that they tend not to be too sympathetic or accommodating. (but I Have no personal experience)

So now that I have made a short story long - like Roadadvisor, I say it is too close.

Pura Vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

Happy mothers day Raquel and Lisa...

roadadvisor

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

Wow everyone thanks so much for the advice and quick responses. You all confirmed what I thought but just wanted to make sure- it is cutting it too close!

Roadadvisor- special thanks to you as you have been a wonderful help in planning my trip through this and previous forum post!

I don't know how I ever planned trips before trip advisor! Haha.

6. Re: SJO and Sansa - need advice on flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 06:18