We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison,Wisconsin
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Looking at Adventure Inn for our first night and noticed they offer tour packages. Has anyone done this?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

I haven't stayed at the Adventure Inn let alone booked any tours through them but they way it works with most hotels in CR is that they act as tour agents (in other words, the tours they advertise are the exact same ones you see everywhere else). They work with various tour companies and can book the tours for you with them at the standard rack rates (and any commission that they receive is already built into the standard price that everyone else normally pays). Sometimes, less reputable (greedy) hotels will charge their guests even over the rack rates, making a profit from both ends, but fortunately that is not usually the case. And sometimes a tour company will cut you a deal off the standard rate if you book directly with them, but that is not usually the case either. In the case of the Adventure Inn, they say right on their website "we guarantee the lowest prices, and do not work with tour companies that undercut us if you go direct". I also compared that rates they quoted for some of their tours with those normally charged by the tour companies themselves and they all looked about the same. For example, their 1 day Pacuare raft tour and forward is the exact same price as the Exploradores trip ($99) (without the forward it is actually a little cheaper at $95), the 2 day raft trip is also $249 just like the Exploradores version (Rios Tropicales charges $285 for theirs). The Calypso Cruise is $119 just like on the Calypso website only the Adventure Inn website also mentions a wet-season rate that is $10 less and not mentioned on the Calypso site. You get the idea. The prices are all pretty much the same (if not less) than you'd pay anywhere else and for most people it is much more convenient to just book all or most of their tours with their hotels once they get to their various destinations (and they only reason they might need to PRE-book for those tours is IF they plan to arrive at their hotel in the evening AND the tour in question starts early the very next day). Also, you might want to book direct if you want to go on a specific tour that is not listed on the Adventure site BUT their list seems to cover most of the more popular tours AND, I'd imagine, they could most likely book any tour for you (at standard cost) even if it isn't formally listed on their website

Madison,Wisconsin
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Thanks. What I'm actually wondering about is their 8 night package which takes you to Manual Antonio, Monteverde and Arenal (each for 2 nights). It includes all transportation, your choice of tours every day and a significant number of meals for $699 per person. It seems like it may be a new venture for them. They also have shorter and longer tours. Has anyone done one of these?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Again haven't done it myself, but can offer a few observations. First off, it doesn't actually say you get a tour every day. The way I read it is that you only get tours on the middle days at each of the 3 locations, the other days are either done on your own or spent in travel. Also, 8 of the meals are breakfasts which are normally part of your nightly cost at B&B's anyway, most of the remaining 5 meals are ones that are typically included with the tours they were offering. That said this still doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. ASSUMING the other hotels are normally priced at a similar level to the Adventure Inn ($100/nt for a dbl incl. taxes and bkfst), that would be $800 just for the hotels. Add another 3 shuttle transfers at $40/pp for another $240 and another $50 for 2 people for the jeep-boat-jeep between Monteverde and Arenal and you're up to nearly $1100. Then there are the tours (at $95/pp for Tabacon w/L&D and ~$45-60/pp for 3 other half day tours including local transfer) which brings the estimate for doing this independently close to $1600 total for the 2 of you vs. the $1400 total that Adventure Inn is asking and that is even before adding a few odd meals and local transfers here and there that might also be included. The key question is what are the other hotels that they are putting you up at? Are they truly $100/nt hotels or do they cut corners there? You also might want to consider that their choice of hotels may not be your 1st choices. OTOH, the rest of their package seems to include a great deal of flexibility as to choice of included tours as well as free time to spend doing tours on your own. Short of knowing more details like exactly which hotels are included, this sounds to me like it could actually be a pretty good deal.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 18:17
Madison,Wisconsin
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

I asked them about the hotels and they will give you choices of hotels (and tours). Will check out their prices vs doing on our own.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Eric Robinson was extremely prompt and helpful answering email questions and helping coordinate a trip to Tortuguero incl. transport to different location to pick up our rental car (after business hours). These prices were the best I found anywhere, everyone was great and all went amazingly smoothly. We stayed at Adventure Inn first and last nights in Costa Rica and traveled on our own the rest of the time. I'm a big fan - they offer great info and service.

dayton, ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

I have stayed at Adventure Inn several times and talked with Eric Robinson.

Bottom line - They do what they say.

I didn't follow all the details of your package but if this is the type of tour you want then Adventure Inn will do a good job of delivering.

As mentioned by a Costa Rica expert - The package price is lower than if you try and do it on your own.

Relax and enjoy. Adventure Inn offers value for your money.

Thanks,

b

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Totally agreed with Prolijo...some greedy Hoteliers are not happy with the money they make renting rooms...they want more...

You can do the same on your own...even better...I will not go with any hotel tour package...they may know how to run a hotel...but do they know anything about tours...? Or just looking for a fat commision?

For me is a greedy hotelier...now he wants everything...in my case I will not reccomend his hotel any more!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

I don't see why get mad at a company that is offering convenience at no additional cost to it's own guests.

I think it is a great idea to assist hotel guests in making decisions or at least giving suggestions of what to do. Also great idea to create a group of hotels that have united to offer tourists a more seamless vacation. It is all about convenience.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

Every body is entitled to have a persoanl opinion...like we said here in Costa Rica...Zapatero a tu Zapato...

roadadvisor

Durham,NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone done the Adventure Inn tour package?

I have stayed at Adventure Inn many times, with my husband and as a solo traveler. I love their hotel. The Robinsons are great to work with, they have always responded quickly to any and all my inquiries. I have taken tours arranged by them but never a multi-night one. Eric Robinson started Adventure Hotels of Costa Rica, a group of small hotels around Costa Rica. Their website has a link to a list of these hotels. Since the Robinson's are giving you choices of hotels (most likely from this group of hotels), I would just do my homework and make sure the hotels I picked had the amenities I need, such as hot water, air conditioning, internet acc etc.