We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

Hi everyone,

I was looking on this forum and trying to figure out if there are any gyms I can use in the San Jose area. I did see an earlier post mentioning that there is a gym on the top floor of the San Pedro Mall, one near Parque Central, one in the Holiday Inn, and a Gold's Gym somewhere.

My question is this - does anyone know how much memberships cost? I'm going to be there for 6 months. I'm not sure if I have to pay every time I go or if I can buy a membership. I'd be interested in the cheapest option. What I'm really interested in using are machine weights and free weights. I'll take care of my cardio outside.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this. Thanks for your help! :)

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

I know that the Multi spa gym chain that has different gyms in the Central - one next door to the crown Plaza Hotel, another in Trejos Montealegres, Escazu, one in the east side of the city - in Cipreses, and maybe some more has special membership options for residents of short or long term periods, maybe you want to call them and ask what their offer is, and explain that you are only going to be here six months...their website is www.grupomultispa.com

Also where are you going to be staying while in CR, east or west of the city? I live on the west side so I have information on other gyms I. This area, but it really depends on what is close to where you are going to be living. Let me know where you are going to be and maybe I can help some more

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

Hi! Thanks so much for your tips!

I wish I could tell you exactly where I'll be staying. I am going to be completing a TEFL certificate course and the training center is located in San Pedro. During the four week course, the program is going to arrange my stay with a host family, which I'm hoping will be within walking distance to the training center. (That would be ideal, but haha...we'll see...)

Then after that...who knows. I'll pretty much be responsible for my own housing. My plan is to rent a place with a roommate close to where ever I can find a job...which I'm hoping won't be too much of a difficult task in itself. Again...we'll see. So unfortunately, as you can see, I have a lot of unknowns at this point.

I am definitely going to check out that link you gave me though in the meantime. Hopefully things will all work out! :)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

The earlier post that you're referring is probably mine from about 5 years ago tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309293-i1208-k544…

Here is a much more recent and pretty durn complete list of gyms ALL OVER CR: ticotimes.net/Weekend/Travel/Get-Fit-A-list-… I say pretty durn complete because I personally know of at least 1-2 others in SJ that aren't on the list, but they are of the cheap seedy hole-in-the-wall variety (ie mostly sweaty muscleheads and chipped and rusty freeweights) that you most likely wouldn't be interested in so this probably covers most if not all of those that you would be.

As for which ones are closest to your area near San Pedro, the list starts with a couple of chains, both of which might have locations in or near San Pedro. Curves, which you're probably familiar with in the US is a gym designed just for women (gimnasio para mujeres) definitely has a location right in San Pedro and their monthly membership run at 22K colones/month (~$44). Multispa is a bit more confusing and also much more expensive (if you can believe the ticotimes list) at $80/month. Unfortunately, like so many gyms, particularly pricier ones, they don't list their rates on their website forcing you instead to go in and have to listen to their sales spiel before you can find out. Another thing about that ticotimes listing that confuses me is that they say they have a location in Curridabat, which is just east of San Pedro, but they also give the wrong address for the website (and I find it really hard to believe that any gym in CR could charge $80/month). The web address that crpuravida provided does confirm a Multispa location in some place called "Cipreses", which I confess I don't know where that is exactly but which I believe is MUCH further than simply on "the east side of the city" actually being somewhere way out near Cartago. It might actually be much easier for you to hop one of the many buses that pass through San Pedro every 5-10 minutes for the 5-10 minute ride into downtown and then walk the 6 blocks from where they let off to the Multispa near the Parque Central

Moving down the list, there are lot of other gyms listed for the Escazu area (where locals have the money for those sorts of things), then Santa Ana, even Grecia, a bunch in Sabana Sur, before moving eastward to the Gold's Gym at the Radisson Hotel in Barrio Tournon (north of the city), one in Desamparados (SSE of the city) and finally hitting those on the east side:

Mall San Pedro (on the west side of San Pedro going towards downtown SJ) www.fitnesscentrecr.com ¢21,000/mo (~$42)

U-Gym (on the NE side of San Pedro in an area called Lourdes) www.gimnasiougym.com ¢23,900/mo + ¢10,000 registration (~$48/mo +$20 up front)

360 Fitness in the town of Curridabat just east of San Pedro www.360fitness.co.cr ¢26,700/month (~$53/mo)

The list continues with a couple in Tres Rios, which is about halfway between SJ and Cartago and probably too far east even for you in San Pedro, and then moves back west with 1 in Moravia which is still pretty far NE of where you'll be, then 3 in the Tibas area which is due north of the city (north even of the Gold's Gym in Tournon) and then way back west to Heredia

FWIW, when I was going to school in that area, I looked around at a few gyms including some of those much cheaper ones I mentioned earlier for half the price (and even closer to UCR) and wound up springing for the one in the San Pedro Mall. And I was quite satisfied with the equipment, the locker room and the staff. However, since you're a woman and aren't sure exacty where you'll end up, I think your best bet might actually be Curves. Their rates seem to be about the same, they have their international reputation behind them (and you might even already have a membership that you could use), they have locations both in San Pedro itself as well as nearby Curridabat and several elsewhere around the city where you might also wind up.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 14:53
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

I put the period too close to the address for that ticotimes list so if the list doesn't work either remove the period at the end of the URL in the address box and hit enter or try this ticotimes.net/Weekend/Travel/Get-Fit-A-list-…

BTW, I noticed I missed 1 other one in Curridabat: Gimnasio Todd with locations in both Santa Ana and Curridabat and, according to the ticotimes, a monthly membership rate of $288!?!? God Lord, is that even possible? It sounds more like the rent for a small studio apartment to live in than what anyone would pay for shared space in a grm that one uses for an hour or two 2-3 times per week. Did anyone else notice that the pricier places were all the ones that listed their rates in dollars rather than colones? Is that because the places that cater to gringos really being THAT much nicer or is it yet another example of places that cater to gringos figuring that we can afford to pay so much more (aka "gringo pricing").

Edited: 08 April 2011, 15:09
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

Wow, thank you SO much for such a great response! For some reason I never got notified about this one, and am just checking back for the first time. I really appreciate all your help! Im definitely going to print this out and take it with me. :) I'm sure I'll be able to find something now!

6. Re: Gym options/memberships in San Jose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 21:17