We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Family fo four flying from West Coast into San Jose. I want to limit our driving time once we land as the kids will be exhausted. I would rather not stay in San Jose. We were planning on spending one or two nights at the Peace Lodge before traveling up to Arenal. Has anyone stayed there. Do you think this is a good idea?

Any help is appreciated

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

The airport is west of San Jose, the Peace Lodge is northeast of San Jose, and Arenal is northwest of San Jose. Unfortuntely you can't slip around the backside of Poas Volcano and take the shortcut from the Peace Lodge to Arenal after a landslide closed the road a number of years ago. You now have to backtrack most of the way to the ariport before continuing on to Arenal. If travel time is an issue you would be much better off staying in the hills above San Jose west of the airport. The Peace Lodge has 5 waterfalls, lots of animals on display, a hummingbrid garden and a beautiful setting. Only you can decide if the extra 60-75 minutes each way are worth it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Peace Lodge is fine the road does not have any problem and is actually beautiful also once you are there is easy to get to the Poas Volcano.

The driving from Peace Lodge to Arenal is a about 3 hours from Peace Lodge.

Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

o.k .so the road is open and would not be going out of our way too much? One or two nights at Peace Lodge?

Playa Flamingo...
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

I lived near the Peace Lodge and I think it would be a wonderful experience for your family. I've been there many times and loved each visit. I didn't stay over, but saw many of the rooms and they looked great. They even had a hot tub that was actually hot, most you find in Costa Rica are always cold. They just added a big cat exhibit so your kids will get a kick out of that. If you have the money, stay two nights.

Also, since it is not too far away from Poas Volcano, you can check that out too before you take off to Arenal.

I'm not sure why the first person told you the roads were bad, perhaps they haven't been there in a while, maybe they were around right after the earthquake, but things are quite nice now.

The ride to Arenal will be beautiful from there, lots of green mountains and lovely farmland. Such a beautiful area of the country, you won't be disappointed.

www.happierthanabillionaire.com

5. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 20:05
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Sorry, for the browser in map site put :

Poas, Alajuela, Costa Rica

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Even that the road is open..from Vara Blanca to Sarapiqui ...our DOT do not recommend to drive in that road...as they said you will do it at your own risk...the grounds are inestable and dangerous...

Peace Lodge is a nice place...a lot of fake fiber glass rocks , looks like a set out of Flinstone movie...and if you like to see poor caged animals that is the correct place!

roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

I listen to roadadvisor, no one knows the roads in Costa Rica better than him, IMHO.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

Kids love that place. We stayed once a few years ago and as roadadvisor said some parts are fakey but the views from the balconies are wonderful, waterfalls beautiful and there is lots of hands on animal things for the family. The staff is top notch and knowledgeable in their areas. We ordered ala carte in for dinner to save on $ and ate at the Trout Bar instead of the main restaurant. The food was great.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peace lodge - has anyone stayed there

The paper reported in Tuesday morning's edition: "MOPT officials do not recommend the Heredia - Vara Blanca - Saripiqui route as the repairs following the January 2009 earthquake are not complete and the road is extremely dangerous, especially in rain and at night."

If you are planning to drive that route past the Peace Lodge and on to Arenal I would suggest you think about alternate routes. The place we like to stay in Sarapiqui advised us not to take the route past the Peace Lodge, although we originally liked to come that way and stop at the main waterfall along the road.