We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alfaro bus station san jose

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
alfaro bus station san jose

hello

i would like to know where the alfaro bus station is located plus if you have any recomandation about good places to stay close to the bus station (the bus i want leave very early in morning so i want to find somewhere close to stay for the night)

thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

I'm assuming you're catching a bus in San Jose? Their bus terminal is located near the intersection of Calle 14 and Avenida 5 in the Coca Cola neighborhood. If taking a taxi from SJO airport, then your driver can take you directly there - just tell him which bus you're catching.

It's not the greatest part of town and I haven't stayed there, so I can't recommend a hotel for you. I think there are a number of budget hotels & hostels in the area. While walking around keep your bags with you at all times and be mindful of pick pockets.

Bus schedules & Alfaro's web site:

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/cr/index.php

http://www.empresaalfaro.com/

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

thaks for your answer, but i'm a bit confused now.

i checked the sites you gave and it didn't seem as if this company goes to the desetination i wanted - which is David, Panama

maybe it's a diffrent company that departs from this station (is it possible?) or maybe the information u got was wrong...

anyway i would like the same information i asked for in my first post but for busses from san jose to David

thanks again

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

Okay, it helps to know your ultimate destination. There are a number of bus terminals in & around the Coca Cola neighborhood in San Jose. Each serves a different part of Costa Rica or international destination.

Looks like Tracopa has a 7:30am & Noon buses (route 601-ASD) to David, Panama which takes about 9 hours (depending on border crossing time). Bus terminal is located near Calle 5 & Avenida 20.

www.tracopacr.com/rutas.html

Ticabus also has buses to Panama at Noon (economy) and 11pm (ejecutive). I'm assuming that the bus stops in David, but the Ticabus web-site isn't clear on this. The bus schedule site shows that it arrives in David in 9 hours. Bus terminal located 200 meters North & 100 meters West from Torre Mercedes, Paseo Colón, Across front Funeraria del Magisterio Nacional.

www.ticabus.com/ingles.html

Probably easier just to go by taxi & tell the driver which terminal you want. Try to buy your tickets asap to avoid a sold out bus.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

For those buses maybe hotel Ambassador...located at Paseo Colon...good enough and safe for your needs...

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

Also take your passport with you when you purchase a bus ticket. I don't think they will sell you a one without it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

Nice ...nice hotel around Paseo Colon...Grano de Oro....good price not very cheap!

roadadvisor

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

Just to clarify a few things a little further:

While many of SJ's bus stations are indeed located in the area around Coca Cola, the only one of the Panama bound buses mentioned above that leaves early in the morning is Tracopa (located as sodomojo stated at Calle 5 & Avenida 20). And that is actually really nowhere near any of those, but rather WAY down on the south side of downtown (a long 12 blocks south and ~10 blocks east of Coca Cola and even further from the Paseo Colon area). SO, if the idea is to get a hotel located close to the terminal for an early morning departure, then neither of those hotels really offers you any advantage.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any hotel of any note that is located in that southern part of town (which isn't all that interesting an area anyway). If you decide to go that route then I'd just choose a place to stay elsewhere in town that better serves your tastes for other reasons (e.g. proximity to restaurants and/or nightlife, good reviews, etc.) and take a cab from wherever that is to the station the next morning (which as sodomojo said is probably a good idea anyway if you're not sure where you're going). Even if you stay at a hotel on the opposite side of downtown (e.g, in the Barrio Amon area) you're only looking at a fare of a couple of bucks (cabfares in SJ only run about $1/km) and maybe an extra 5 minutes drive time.

If you decide to go with Tracopa and if you have time, then you probably will want to swing by Tracopa the afternoon before to purchase your tickets for the next morning to insure you get a good seat. If you arrive late or are just willing to take your chances (which might not be so bad), you could also just plan to get to the terminal the next morning at least an hour before departure and try to purchase them then. There are usually at least a few empty seats at this time of year (maybe not so much during high season), though your choice of seating could be limited (e.g. no window seats or seats near the front). The worst case scenario is the bus is completely sold out and you're forced to switch to a noon bus with them or one of the other companies.

Another point of clarification is that if you're gonna go with Ticabus, then there may be no reason you even have to find a hotel anywhere in SJ. You could take the 11PM executivo, sleep on the bus (at least I personally found the seats on their buses to be pretty comfortable and was able to get some shut eye when I used them to go to Nicaragua), save on the overnight hotel expense in SJ and arrive in David that much earlier the next day. The main negatives with going this route are that it costs $10 more each way and, of course, that you won't be able to enjoy any of the scenery along the way. If you decide to do this then if I were you I'd definitely take the taxi direct from the airport (or from where the bus from the airport lets off downtown) and purchase your tickets right then and there (even if you have reserved ahead). I'm pretty sure you can check your luggage at that point (not sure exactly how long before departure they'll hold your bags, but you can call and ask them about that). You can then go around SJ a little bit, do some sightseeing if it is still early enough in the afternoon or at least enjoy dinner at one of the local restaurants (I recommend Machu Pichu which is only about 3 blocks from the Ticabus terminal) before returning to the terminal (again they recommend an hour before or by 10pm),

By the way, the "tico directions" given by sodomojo may be used with your tico taxista to get to the Ticabus terminal but it would actually be much simpler and adequate just to say Ticabus Terminal, since only the most clueless SJ cabbie wouldn't know where that is. For those foreigners who don't necessarily understand that 100 meters equals 1 block no matter how long that block may be or where the heck on Paseo Colon is Torre Mercedes, the Ticabus terminal is located on the north side of Avenida 3 between Calle 26 & 28. If you go 2 blocks north of Paseo Colon ( coming from the airport turn left at the tall office building right before you get to the hospital) and turn left again, heading down Avenida 3 back in the direction of the airport then you can't miss it since it will be a relatively shiny new and brightly painted red and blue terminal located on the righthand side of the street.

Let's see, what else about Ticabus? That busschedule is normally pretty good but in this case it seems to be providing pretty questionable info about Ticabus. It lists Ticabus's other departure as leaving at midnight (just an hour later), whereas the Ticabus website lists it's departure as "12:00 m.d", arriving in Panama CITY at ~ 4AM the NEXT day (its normally 9 hours to David and another 7 to the capital). That either means they make that entire run in just 4 hours (highly unlikely!) OR m.d. stands for mid-day (which is what I'm gonna go with).

One last thing, thebusschedule turns up one other bus company for this route, that being Panaline. I'm not sure if they even still operate or not. I do know that the website link provided by thebusschedule no longer works, but you could also try calling (506-2256-8721) or stopping by the location provided (Calle 16 and Avenida 5 or about a block north of Coca Cola) to check for yourself. However, as has already been pointed out, that is not exactly the best neighborhood to be wandering about with all your bags.

There is yet another company (or perhaps just a new name for Panaline?) that runs between SJ and David and that is Panama Express. Their website is http://www.expresopanama.com/ and they also show a noon departure time (just like Ticabus but for actually a couple of bucks less each way). I'm not sure where their SJ terminal is located or whether that is what became of the Panaline terminal, but you also might want to try contacting them to find out.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

Hiya,

I hope I can help. I do this trip regularly and have done it recently

Tracopo used to go from Alfaro - but they now have their own station which ia a bit further out of downtown.

No decent hotels withing walking distance. I recommend Hotel Hemingway if your budget streches to about $35 single, or Hotel Musoc (in the Coca Cola neighbourhood, so be VERY careful after dark). Or anywhere downtown - it will only be a $4 taxi ride.

The only bus leave at 7:30 (if I remember correctly) You need to be there 1/2 hour before

I always buy my ticket the day before, and you definitely need your passport (not a copy) in order to buy it. I have seen people buy tickets on the day of travel, but you are taking a chance if they are sold out.

The ticket is $15, and you are well advised to spend the money to buy a return ticket, as you probably will not be let into Panama withought an exit ticket.

I don't know about other companies, I always go with Tracopa.

The bus gets in to David at 4:30- 5:00 pm. In David, I like the Hotel Toledo (about a 5 minute walk), but I know the hostel 'Purple House' is popular. I have never stayed there, but I think it is a taxi ride

Cheere

9. Re: alfaro bus station san jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 00:16