We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

halloween in san jose

monterey
11 posts
Save Topic
halloween in san jose

wich bars have the best halloween partys

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: halloween in san jose

Halloween is not part of our culture..and hard to even guess who have the best party...SORRY...

But maybe tou can try some places around ESCAZU...a lot of foreign people live around there...maybe a good area to have that kind of party!

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: halloween in san jose

There are many on-line listings for bar/club events for Halloween:

www.ticoparty.com/foro/20-halloween-en-costa-rica/89-la-lista-de-las-mejores-fiestas-de-halloween.html\

allevents.in/San%20Jose/…169665026446001

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: halloween in san jose

Very interesting, sodomojo. That second link was actually for San Jose California not Costa Rica, but the first link has quite a LOT of Halloween events listed for Costa Rica. And most of those were actually in more purely tico places like Heredia and Cartago rather than Escazu. Like RA, I too would have expected more Halloween events to be going on in more heavily gringo-ized areas like Escazu (also because it is a city known for brujas :-) ). Curiously, I didn't notice any at all listed for Escazu on that page (though that may just be because that spanish language site is oriented more directly at ticos rather than expats). In fact, though I didn't see any on there for Escazu, they even listed some for much more far-flung places like Puerto Viejo and Grecia.

If surfdog is looking more specifically for San Jose itself, I noticed some listed for a couple of SJ's tico neighborhoods (specifically Zapote and San Pedro). But maybe his best bet would be to simply head to El Pueblo (just north of downtown), which is already a popular nightlife area with many bars that may have Halloween events going on and which is also already fairly well-known to gringos as well as ticos (although you'll still find far more locals there late at night than other foreigners). For example, one Halloween party that site mentions specifically in El Pueblo is at Ebony Side. However, which of these parties (or gringo ones not yet mentioned) constitutes "the best halloween party" in San Jose? Your guess is still as good as mine.

Btw, since I see that surfdog was also asking in another thread about the Beatle Bar in Jaco (although I'll probably get criticized for this next suggestion), he MIGHT want to use that night in San Jose to check out the bars at the Del Rey (the Blue Marlin and Key Largo). He definitely wouldn't be the only gringo there and I happen to know many of its patrons like to dress up in costumes for Halloween.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 14:23
Canada
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: halloween in san jose

Seriously??? You are reccomending the Del Rey for someone looking for a holloween party! Anyone not familiar with this "establishment" please do your homework!

Edited: 17 October 2011, 14:53
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: halloween in san jose

Most main cities will have parties San Jose at El Pueblo is a great option, Alajuela, Heredia, Cartago, many clubs by Escazu. At the beaches Coco Beach, Tamarindo, Quepos etc.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: halloween in san jose

Oops, sorry about the second link! I didn't look as closely as I thought I did. Mea culpa.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: halloween in san jose

Okay, here's another online bar guide. Type 'Halloween' into the search box and you'll find a few events in Escazu, Zapote & San Jose:

www.aloquevinimos.com/

My memory of details are hazy, but if I remember correctly there's a street near the University of CR campus in San Pedro that's lined with bars. Not so sure about Halloween parties, but it' a fun area to bar hop with a younger/college age crowd.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: halloween in san jose

The street sodomojo is referring to is called the Calle de Amargura in San Pedro.

raquel

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: halloween in san jose

Thanks, Raquel!

Calle de la Armargura on Google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/3rzfmqw

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: halloween in san jose

"Seriously??? You are reccomending the Del Rey for someone looking for a holloween party! Anyone not familiar with this "establishment" please do your homework!"

I knew that suggestion would get a rise out of someone, but I wasn't just trolling. CanaTico, maybe you should do YOUR homework. The Del Rey may not be your cup of tea (or mine) but this isn't about what you or I are into. The place is definitely the cup of tea for plenty of gringos, judging from the amount of traffic it gets. Besides, Surfdog was asking about Halloween parties in SJ, and the Del Rey definitely DOES have one. AND, if you had done a little homework yourself and read some of Surfdog's other posts, you'd realize that he was also interested in the Beatle Bar in Jaco which also has much more than its fair share of the exact same type of patrons. So, whether you like the place or not, IMHO the suggestion might really not be so far-fetched for the OP.

Besides, the HDR doesn't charge any cover so what is the worst that could happen? A) He does that homework you were recommending (and apparently is doing anyway) and discovers what we've been obliquely referring to (assuming he doesn't already know about the place), B) he decides for himself whether to check it out or to skip it and C) if he decides to stop there and then decides it isn't his cup of tea either, he hops right back into a cab and heads on to El Pueblo or some other party on his list of possibilities.

Also, you should reread my post as I wasn't actually "recommending" ANYTHING. ("...Your guess is still as good as mine..."). I was merely providing some (neutral) information about some different possibilities that he might be interested in.