We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

Hi,

Has anyone spent NYE in Costa Rica before? I'm trying to work out where is best to be - San Jose? On the coast? Inland?

We're after somewhere with a bit of life and atmosphere but not necessarily hard core nightclubs!

Many thanks!

Kris

washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

It was suggested to me Fiestas Zapote in San Jose http://www.fiestaszapote.com, which runs between Christmas and a few days after New Year. I don't know any Spanish to figure out what that website says. It is a local festival, which to me is the best, compared to the touristy stuff.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 21:32
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

i don't think that zapote is a good option unless you go with a local that understands whats going on,

many hotels have nice carnivals, it is a matter of you deciding beach or mountain or city

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,324 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

Drar Kristian

Any beach is nice...San Jose to many people...that is my humble opinion...and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

roadadvisor

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

What's to understand? Forget about Pamplona. It's simple. Go to Zapote, get in the ring and run with the bulls. O muy valiente o muy loco :-)

Edited: 05 December 2011, 00:14
Canada
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

Northernlight, if you copy and paste the URL to Google translate it will give you a slightly off but reasonably understandable version of the web page you were looking at. I love the Bull fights becasuse in CR the Bull always wins!!

washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

CanaTico: Muchas Gracias! That sounds very Costa Rican fun for New Year, just what I am after. Where do I go for street celebrations?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

Well.... Zapote is a suburb that is along the route you would take leaving San Jose towards Cartago, but that is about the best I can do in terms of directions because I always have Ticos leading the way. I am sure Prolijo

or Roadadvisor could do much better than me in the direction department.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you!

Actually, I could give you my typical long and involved driving directions, but the best way to get there would probably be by just taking a taxi rather than driving your own rental vehicle and then having to deal with parking and such. And if you take a cab, any taxista in SJ should know where to go or else should really find another job.

For those people so inclined, they can find the Zapote Plaza de la Toros on Google Map at 9º55'02N 84º03'05W

BTW, Luis please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the Zapote fair is that is really much more of a Christmas period event than a New Years one. http://costarica.com/events/zapote-fiestas/ actually shows it as running from December 17, 7:15 AM - December 31, 8:00 AM (i.e. it ends sometime well short of midnight on New Year's Eve). It would still be a worthwhile thing to check out on the days leading up to New Years if you're already planning to be in SJ and think you'll have the time, especially if you think you might enjoy the comedic sight of a bunch of crazy fools showing their machismo running from a bull.

Also, FWIW, here is an interesting article I found on how New Years is celebrated in CR. Be sure to bring a yellow shirt and red jockeys to wear on New Years and don't forget to eat your 12 grapes.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

prolijo, my recollection is the festival run until the 1st or 2nd. Last year the closing night of the festival was Jan 2nd as explained here: El narrador/presentador Carlos Álvarez, quien trabajó para Teletica en las Fiestas de Zapote 2010-2011, montó un toro en la corrida final de los festejos, realizada la noche del 02 de enero del 2011.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve in Costa Rica

Prolijo you forgot to post the link to the article you mentioned