We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

CALI
Level Contributor
446 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

Are these the same thing?

planning on self drive to Paos volcano early 8am, then La Paz Waterfall, then have a 1pm Coffee tour.

Waterfall but i am confused.

can i spend 1-2 hours at the waterfall, is there a cost

Or do i have to pay $35 for La Paz Waterfalll Gardens Nature Park

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

There are 5 waterfalls inside the LaPaz Waterfall Gardens and the last and largest waterfall is actually outside the garden's boundaries and right next to the road from Varablanca. You can park along the road and hike up and under the LaPaz waterfall for free, but it tends to be a short stop on a long drive. You can reach this waterfall from a trail inside the park as well. You need to pay that entry fee to visit the rest of the waterfalls, hike their trails, and visit the butterfly garden, frog enclosure and have lunch.

J H
London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

$35 to see a waterfall?!? That's a bit steep.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

Jukebox agree both are more of a Disneyland thing with rescued but caged animals for display. Not my thing, but some seem to enjoy. You can see free animals in their natural habitat and waterfalls for free in many parts of Costa rica.

CALI
Level Contributor
446 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

Since i am doing this with my rental car, i figured

Paos volcano, 7am

paz waterfall 10:30am

doka cofee tour 1:30pm

If i park on the road, what should i look for?

How far is the hike from the road, 1km, 2km?

I may skip Paz waterfall and plan full day at Nature Park

J H
London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

I could understand if they were something akin to other world-famous waterfalls, but from the pictures on the website, they don't look that impressive? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, this post will probably be deleted because we've wandered off topic.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 22:26
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

The waterfalls on the property are beautiful. The fee includes some other areas like a butterfly hatchery, handfeeding of hummingbirds, a huge aviary, ranarium, etc. Check out the pics and see if it's your kind of thing.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

Fade if you park along the sided of the road after passing the LaPaz Waterfall Garden entrance and going down a steep hill you will be within spitting distance (well almost) of the largest waterfall which is actually the one called "La Paz." Its right on the road and easy to find. Be sure and take the short path on the left bank which leads under the falls. If you don't go into the waterfall gardens (the entrance is back up the hill you just drove down) you can check it out and be on your way in 15-20 minutes.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

I totally agree with Thomas and Juke box...way to much money to see some waterfalls...andto be part of totally fake park...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

If you just want to see the waterfall park on thye road and see it from there, however if you really want to experience the beauty of the park go to the La Paz Waterfall gardens, it is an amaizing place with the biggest butterfly garden, a hummingbird garden, birds, monkeys jaguars, orchids, serpentarium and the walk to see the waterfall. I would spend at least 3 hours there or more to really enjoy it

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Paz Waterfall vs La Paz Waterfall Gardens Nature Park

I can tell you that there is a lot to do here. I am planning an upcoming trip for our 40th anniversary , and my wife has already told me this will be our first stop after arriving at the airport. She loves this place, even though as others have said, it is a little Flintstoneish. This is a must do for us on every trip to Costa Rica. I usually just make it a two night stay, so it is not a big deal. The waterfalls are only a part of all there is to do.