We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Hi everyone, I just wondered what nice beaches you had stayed at near San Jose airport.

Basically I wanted to do a 21 day adventure tour around the country but it only included 2 beach days at cahuita (I luv the beach so this isn't enough time). But I have a second option of doing a 10 day tour through the rainforest n national parks etc...and then just organising my own week at a hotel on a beach somewhere.

Any beach areas or hotel names quite near to San Jose would be really appreciated,

Finally, I have the choice of going in march or April. April would suit me better but I fear it will be a lot more wet, in which case there would be no point having a week on the beach if it's heavy showers all the time? Thanks guys x

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

You can use this website: yourtravelmap.com/costarica/… which gives you distances, travel times and directions. Take a look at it with a map of Costa Rica. Most of the beaches will be called "Playa" something.

There are no beach areas really near San Jose.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 17:07
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
2. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Close to San Jose you can fing the Jaco Beach which is about one a half hour drive but the beach is just ok. To go to a nice beach I would sugest you go to Manuel Antonio (3 hour drive from San jose)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Go in April and don't worry about the rain. At the beginning of rainy season there is a little more rain but that means a couple more evening or afternoon showers than the previous month. If you check the rainfall patterns at costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html you'll see that there is no significant difference in rainfall between March and April.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,284 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

One of the best small beaches in our country...inside of Punta Leona...Limoncito beach...incredible soft white sand ...the best...and only 1 hour from San Jose...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Good one roadadvisor! Agree Punta Leona is lovely, and it's very close to Jaco for all the shopping, restaurants and nightlife!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,284 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Thank you my dear amiga...glad thta you like Limoncito as much as many more people!

roadadvisor

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
528 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Hello Roadadvisor and all. Can anyone help me to pinpoint where Limoncito Beach is located? I have read that it is located approx. 15 minutes from Jaco, but I still cannot find it. In fact when I google it, or even try to find it within specific forums (like the Jaco forum on TA) I either cannot find it or I find reference to a Limoncito beach that is " just south of the port city of Limon, Costa Rica" (1costaricalink.com/eng/…limoncito-eng.htm) which appears to be a wildlife refuge and not the Limoncito I am looking for. I am looking for advice / driving directions for the Limoncito Beach that is on the western side, near Jaco & in Punta Leona? How do I find it, and what would the driving directions from either Jaco or MA be? Thank you in advance!

8. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2012, 19:22
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,284 posts
119 reviews
9. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

The driving time from SJO to JAco is one hour..by car ...of course with somebody that knows the road and Costa Rica ...by helicopter maybe 15 minutes...I drive that road almost in a daily basis...and that rakes me 1 hour even less...I just drove by from Manuel Antoniio

Limoncito beach...is at the Gated community and hotel PUNTA LEONA...a few miles before you get to JAco...just google PUNTA LEONA...

Of course once again...take 27 and 34 like any body that knows how to drive in our country...that will be 1 hour or even less...GUARANTEE!

roadadvisor

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
528 posts
264 reviews
10. Re: Nice beaches near San Jose in costa rica

Hello Roadadvisor - when you say that Limoncito is "is at the Gated community and hotel PUNTA LEONA" - I assume this is a public beach access to everyone? I am not familiar yet with any laws in CR regarding beach access thru "developments" or condo associations.