We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

retirement

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
retirement

Looking to visit for a week May 16 -23 for the propose of retiring in Costa Rica one day. We are two single brothers 54 and 56 wanting some direction in travel, places to stay and and other information that would help us in our stay?

Thank you, Joe

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: retirement

You're on the wrong forum for that. Try http://forums.arcr.net/.

It also might help to know a little more about what exactly you think you might be looking for this trip and in the future. Keep in mind that visiting CR for a week on a vacation and doing typical vacation fun things like rafting, zip-lining, etc. is not the same thing as how it would be living there day to day during retirement. However if you also want advice on the former than there are many people here on TA that could help you. Longer term, what do you think you are looking for: a place on the beach, a place in the country or something perhaps a bit more urban somewhere in the central valley and closer to CR's commercial center and infrastructure (e.g. many gringos settle in Escazu aka Gringozu).

For your 1st trip, I'd suggest you mainly just enjoy your vacation and see if you even really like the place. Plan on coming back, many times (and at different times of the year so that you can appreciate seasonal differences in weather, etc.), when you can focus in on more carefully exploring different areas with that eye towards retirement. Try doing some things more like what you might have to do on a regular basis if you lived there (like deal with CR bureaucracy, go grocery shopping or at least go see what things are available and what they cost in CR, wait in a bank line, take a bus, etc.). I also suggest you schedule one of those follow-up trip over the last Thursday and Friday of the month (except December) so that you can attend ARCR's monthly seminar on CR retirement. The cost is only $70 for both days ($50 if you're an ARCR member or decide to join) and is highly informative.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: retirement

Joe, Prolijo has made a good suggestion to consider ARCR to help get you through some of the technical stuff, but for your first trip, might I suggest the Hotel Castillo http://www.hotelcastillo.biz/ which you can find in Barrio Amon (all taxis know it, just tell them "behind INS..they'll know). The reason I suggest the place is a number of frequent visitors just about your ages make the hotel their home when they visit SJ, and you will find a bunch of them (including myself often enough) at breakfast ready to discuss the true plus and minus of living every day in the land of Pura Vida. Rooms are clean, hot water, and beds are comfy, but the advice you get at the back bar when sitting with guys like yourself is priceless. Darren, Maria and Patricia will make your trip one to remember, and English is always spoken. Have a good trip wherever you decide to hang out.

3. Re: retirement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:15