We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
571 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

Anyone on the forum had stayed here? Read a couple pages of reviews on TA and found most people are saying it's "close to everything". Is it close enough that we could just walk a block or two in order to find a decent restaurant and shops for necessities (in case there are things we forget to bring with us) and souvenirs? What about museums?

Our flight will arrive at 16:00 so I'm hoping to be able to "do something" that late afternoon/evening before we head to the jungle.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

I'm not really that familiar with the place but it is located on Avenida 9 between Calles 11 y 13. That puts it just 1 block west of the highly popular Cafe Mundo, and just a block or so north of the Jade Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art & Design (MADC) (just to name a few of the closest places of note). Beyond that is just a few blocks further to such places as the National Museum (to the SE) and the Gold Museum (to the SW) passing through several nice city parks and by several historical buildings. Next to the National Museum (across the Plaza de la Democracia) is a nice covered Artisan's Market filled with many stalls selling souvenirs, but there are also several more formal shops scattered about the neighborhood between your hotel and the Plaza de la Cultura (where the Gold Museum is located) and of course if you want to take a longer stroll further east from there along the Calle Central Pedestrian Mall you'll find the Central Mercado, which is also good for souvenirs as well as having many other interesting shops selling this and that.

Your problem is that unless you plan on staying for more than 1 night, or at least don't plan on heading to the jungle the very first thing the next morning, you won't really have much time to see any of that. If your flight gets in at 4PM, then it will probably be close to 5PM by the time you get to your hotel. All of the museums will be closed by then. I might have suggested you purchase some tickets for the evening show at the National Theatre *also at the Plaza de la Cultura), whatever might happen to be running there, but it may even be too late for that too. The Artisan's Market may still be running, if they're not already closing up shop. The more formal brick and mortar souvenir shops will still be open but don't offer such great deals. But, if you're just looking for necessities, you could just stop at the late night grocery located 3 blocks south of your hotel on the corner of Calle 11 y Avenida 1 (AM/PM?).

If you want to walk just a block or two to go out to eat, then from your hotel the Cafe Mundo would definitely by your best bet. You could fairly safely walk further than that in the early evening if you wanted to try something a little further away, but later at night you'll probably want to take cabs. Another possibility would be to take a cab (for a couple of bucks each way) to El Pueblo, which is a small shopping center across the river from your hotel and which has an interesting maze of little alleyways lined with various souvenir shops, art galleries and restaurants (again perfectly safe for walking around early in the evening).

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

It;s also around the corner from The Sportsmen's Lodge. I visited the MdPBH for a fact finding mission, and found it beautiful, very intimate as there only a few rooms in the hotel, with a nice terrace for breakfast, but the area is not the best after dark, so taxis are a must. Might I suggest the Gran Hotel as an alternative choice? A good number of the downtown things to see are close, and they have an excellent restaurant tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309293-d293439…

Or a further step up, the Grano de Oro tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309293-d299076…

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 05:31
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

haha I will have to be more aware of my surroundings. I live a couple of blocks away from Cafe Mundo, but am totally unfamiliar with this hotel. I will tell you that after living in this neighborhood for the last 8 months, I LOVE the weather here!

Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

I have stayed 2 blocks up Av 9 at the Hotel Don Carlos twice: '03 and '05. Great Location! I'm going back in June and am staying here at Mansion del Parque instead of the Don Carlos, just for a change, because the location in San Jose is great. You can walk to a lot...I am a 54 y/o lady and would walk around by myself during daylight but only with someone else at night. Go check out the Don Carlos; it's a really culturally artistic, eclectic compound. I love that. See if they'll let you check out the inside-just to see the art all over the place--and it has a gift shop too. I guess we'll see how the Mansion is and blog about it later :)

Edited: 12 May 2012, 23:40
5. Re: Mansion del Parque Bolivar Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:15