We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from airport to downtown

Boston
3 posts
Save Topic
getting from airport to downtown

I need to get from the San Jose airport to the downtown area, because I'm catching a bus to Jaco the day I get there. Does anyone have information on the buses that go from the airport to downtown, particularly if any of them stop near the Coca Cola bus station?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from airport to downtown

There are two bus companies that have the bus route between Alajuela and San Jose: Tuasa (big red bus) and Station Wagon Alajuela (yellowish bus).

When you exit the airport, walk across the street towards the parking lot. Turn left and walk around the parking lot to the main street. Look to your right. You will see bus stops and that's where you can catch the buses for San Jose. They stop very frequently - sometimes every few minutes. Just ask the driver "San Jose?" to be sure.

Once at the bus station in San Jose, grab one of the waiting taxis and tell him you want to go to the Coca Cola station.

The bus stops maybe 5-6 blocks from Coca Cola station, but it's really SO MUCH better just to grab a taxi rather than dealing with getting there by foot.

Boston
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from airport to downtown

Awesome, so we'll be getting off at the last stop then? Also, do you know how long it takes to get downtown, more or less?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from airport to downtown

It takes about an hour to get to the bus station downtown, what with stops and traffic and all. And yes, you will be getting off at the last stop -- it will be obvious when you arrive at the bus station. There are always taxis waiting.

Boston
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from airport to downtown

Great, thanks so much!!

Tampa, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from airport to downtown

The official time for a Tuasa directo is actually just 25 minutes though sometimes they take longer due to traffic and those buses leave every 10 minutes. Essentially, while they may take longer than taking a cab all the way from the airport, its usually not by very much and the savings (particularly for solo travellers) is substantial (about 80 cents for the bus plus another buck for the cab between the bus stations downtown vs. $25 or more for a taxi all the way from the airport)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from airport to downtown

Well, you may or may not be on a "directo" Tuasa bus. It's pretty hard for me to figure out which is which and I've ridden the bus here a lot. I would just count on it taking an hour and then if you happen to get on a "directo," then that's great.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from airport to downtown

I have taken the buses from the airport to downtown quite a lot. As Don says it always seems to be very quick - about 25 minutes to half an hour. If traffic is heavy it could of course be more. As far as I know, there is one bus that does go via Heredia so would take longer. But it is marked. The others do stop a few times along the way, but usually not that many times.

However, do allow yourself enough time just in case. Even with a cab things can happen. I know one time we ended up missing a bus (taking a cab) because it was the San Jose marathon and traffic just was not moving.... It probably won't happen to you but one never knows.

One nice thing about the buses is that they don't require exact change. But I wouldn't go and hand the driver a really big bill.

raquel

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from airport to downtown

If you are taking the Tuasa bus, the fare is around 500 colones. So if you hand the driver a "really big bill," he might give you "the look." I would just use a 1000 or 2000 colon bill and he will give you the proper change.

On the other hand, when riding the bus "cross country," - no problem giving the driver a big bill if you don't know how much the bus costs - such as the bus to the Caribbean.

Aurora, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from airport to downtown

If I take the bus from the airport to downtown... Can I take my luggage?

Aurora, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from airport to downtown

If I take the bus to downtown can I take my luggage?

Get answers to your questions about San Jose