We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sjo opening time?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sjo opening time?

Looking at a flight out at 6am and don't really feel like getting there at 3am. Is the airport even open that early?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sjo opening time?

The airport will be open 3 hours ahead of a flight. And there may be flights that leave earlier than yours.

Keep in mind that you will need to pay your departure tax, fill out the form that comes with it and then stand in line with the 275 or so other passengers on your flight to check in. Also, the airlines won't let you board if you have not checked in an hour before the flight.

What you might do is arrive really early, pay your departure tax and check in - it will be easy - and then grab a taxi to a local restaurant for a relaxing breakfast and then return and go through security and on to boarding.

With a 6 am, flight, you are staying somewhere near the airport the night before, right?

To find out what other flights are leaving around the same time, you can check www.flightstats.com

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sjo opening time?

Upon arrival and before you leave the airport go up to arrivals and ask airline personnel at the check-in counter what time they are open for check-in in the morning. I agree that they are unlikely to have an open counter for you to check in at 3 AM, but if you ask the desk personnel, they should give you a reliable answer. I agree with Hattie not to wait til the last minute however, as I expect everyone will show up for the flight at 4:45-5 AM

You could also pay your departure tax upon arrival which will give you one less line to stand in that last morning.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 16:06
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sjo opening time?

Well, good luck to those who arrive at 5 am for a 6 o'clock flight! Keep in mind that most airlines will NOT let you board if you are not checked in at least one hour prior to flight time.

There are flights leaving SJO as early as 5:15 am, so I don't think there will be an issue with your arriving when the airlines recommend: 3 hours ahead of your flight. I guess it all depends on whether you like living "on the edge" and can afford to miss your flight and pay for another one.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sjo opening time?

Yes SJO will be open at 3am...for any passenger leaving at 6am...or even earlier...

roadadvisor

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sjo opening time?

Does that work, to pay the departure tax upon arrival? If there's no specific date required to accomplish it, that's a brilliant idea!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sjo opening time?

Of course it works, proven many times and reliable. Just don't loose your payment confirmation while travelling.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sjo opening time?

If you are arriving/leaving SJO, it's a bit more difficult to pay your Departure Tax, but it can be done.

You will need to exit the airport where you will be on the lower level. You will then need to go to the upper level and re-enter the airport and the Departure Tax desk will be to your right.

However, it probably isn't worth the effort since the Departure Tax desks at SJO are fully manned and there is never a long line. The most I have ever waited is about 6 minutes. Usually when I get there, several agents are "open" and at least one is waving at me to "Come on!"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sjo opening time?

Thanks for the info!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sjo opening time?

You need to show your passport in order to pay the exit tax. The good thing is that one person in your group can collect all the passports, pay and the rest of the group can watch your luggage while they await you back in the airline area. Not a major time saver but it sure beats everyone in the group lugging their "stuff" thru the exit tax line.

thi
quebec
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sjo opening time?

last day spending in SJ. Flight out next day at 6:00am.

Can I pay my departure tax at any banks in SJ during this last day?

Thanks

Thi