We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose and surrounding area

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
5 posts
Save Topic
San Jose and surrounding area

I plan to go from Bocas to SJ, is there any other routes instead of taking flight? I will have a day and a half in SJ, wondering if there is any good a day tour that I can do. Or if anyone can suggest any tour operators or tours around sj. Would there be any good budget hotel or hostel in the city? Would they arrange transfer to the airport or how much for transportation? Thanks for the help!

-Djong

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

You can take the boat back to the mainland and then take a bus. It is probably 15 to 18 hours with the border crossing. There is also a crossing on the Carribean coast that involves water taxis and something called "the bridge". The crossing is at Sixaola-Guabito. I have not done it, but have heard it is moderately risky, especially for novice travellers without Spansih and/or going it alone. You may find a chat about this in the Carribean coast area of TA. There is nothing that I can see specifically on Sixaola Guabito in TA, but have seen stuff elsewhere

Once you are in CR there are scheduled buses that should run you to Lemon and then from there to San Jose. These buses will be cleaner and safer than those you might have ridden on in Panama. Be careful and watch your stuff in the bus terminals and when it is loaded. You will probably arrive late in the day in SJ, so you might want to research hostels in the vacinity of the terminal you will be arriving at and catch a taxi to it. Walking in that area of San Jose is confusing at best and dangerous at worst, especially if you look out of place.

There are plenty of good hostels in SJ. You are probably best getting one on the west end of town. We stayed at the Mi Casa Hostel a short distance down a secondary street from the ICE (power company) office tower (good landmark for a taxi driver). It was clean,had private as well as dorm romms and you could walk around the area at night without much risk. I can't remember what our room cost, but you can find rates on their www site. They arranged for someone to pick us up at the airport. Most places can provide or arrange for this sort of service. I think the cost for the two of us was about $20 and we probably overpaid. You could share a cab in from the airport with other travellers as this is on the main road into SJ. Local buses also do the run and stop at the ICE building. Their light rail train also now runs in this area during the day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

Check out Caribe Shuttle. They can help you coordinate water taxi transportation from Bocas to mainland, boarder crossing in Sixaola and a shuttle to San Jose once you're back in Costa Rica. This is a rather inexpensive option and there is support for the boarder crossing.

USA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

Thank you. I will do some research on bus and shuttle.

Would the hostel arrange or help me to get some day tour around sj? I wanted to see the vocanos for sure and maybe do the zipline, not sure where to go. Maybe go to the beach for a little bit? I know my time is limited as well as budget but I'm kinda greedy and wanting to make the best or a lot out of it :) Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

As I recall they have a tour desk at that hostel ... most hostels can set you up with tours as they get a commission from the provider. You can sometimes get a better deal by dealing with these companies direct. The Poas Volcano is the only one close to San Jose. Here is a TA link to one of the tour companies thayt can run you up there: tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g309293-d17… When we went we drove ourselves. There is a full tourist reception center with restaurant and store up there as well a well developed trail system. You can probably find a zip line somewhere near, but it won't likely be stellar. There are no beaches close to San Jose that are the swimable kind. The nearest one is an hour and a half away on the Pacific coast toward Jaco.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

Irazu Volcano is also very close to San Jose. It is an ease day trip and there are plenty of other things to do in the Cartago or Orosi areas. For Zip lining you can go to Aventuras La Carpintera which is only 20 minutes from San Jose on the way to Cartago, or Aventuras Orosi in (of course) Orosi. There is also a relatively new operation called Xplore Orosi, but I have only driven past so don’t know much about then.

6. Re: San Jose and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:16