We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
D.C.
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

Hi Everyone,

The Hubby and I are leaving for CR tomorrow for a 4 days at Villa Calletes near Jaco. This was a last minute trip (we booked it last week) with a livingsocial coupon. I am getting pretty stressed reading about all of the car rental issues and am not sure what to do. I tried contacting wildrider because of all of the good tripadvisor comments but they didnt have any availability. I called and emailed mapache but no response. I am thinking about booking a car through expedia and purchasing the expedia rental insurance. Will that be enough when I get the car at the gate? I am afraid of people trying to charge us exorbitant fees when we get to the airport. I would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

Not a good idea to either book through Expedia or buy insurance through them. No matter what other insurance you have (or buy), you will have to buy the mandatory - by law - liability insurance.

Expedia is not really familiar with which agencies are the best in Costa Rica. Keep trying tonight to book directly and try: Solid, Service, Vamos, Alamo, Adobe. Somewhere in there, you can probably find availability.

Boynton Beach...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

Good luck. We are also going to the same hotel for 4 nights with a Living Social deal and I am so confused about getting a car. We don't go until June 28, so please let me know how your stay was and what you did for the rental. thank you! have fun:)

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

i wouldn't book a car in cr through any type of middle man. a quick look around here will show a bunch of horror stories at the rental desk due to the agency not honouring insurance purchased on expedia and other similar websites, and those websites not telling you about the mandatory insurance you have to purchase by law (which in some cases can nearly double the original quoted cost of renting), on top of any other insurance you have like credit card coverage. do yourself a favour and book direct with the cr office and ensure that you ask for a quote that includes the mandatory insurance, and stick with the popular ones recommended by posters on here. my fav is wild rider, but i have had great service from adobe, alamo and mapache. other highly rated companies are tricolor, service car rental and toyota. there are others, but those are the ones i can remember right now. a quick forum search will turn up others. lastly, be sure to read the posts in the top questions section on the top right of the page re renting a car in cr.

D.C.
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up booking with Alamo and purchased a rental with the mandatory insurance. The 4x4 price is $215 USD. If I upgrade to the premium insurance it ends up being around $320 USD. Is it worth it?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

that all depends on how much of a gambler you are! take the risk and save the money or play it safe and spend the money. are you going to drive off-road at all? if so, is off-roading something you're experienced in and good at?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

keep in mind that no insurance covers you if you drown the car in a river crossing!

7. Re: Car rental via Expedia for tomorrow!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 05:15