We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on central america due to accident

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed on central america due to accident

Hi helpful TA people

Writing on behalf of my daughter. She is currently in US and was due to leave on adventure tour in CR but unfortunately injured her knee and ankle, so adventure tour had to be cancelled. Thank goodness for travel insurance to cover this cancellation and hospital visits. She is at the start of her month holiday and feels that rather than fly home straight away she might stay in US for a few more days as swelling etc is starting to settle. (We have been advised no need to hurry back to Australia.)

Then maybe look at having a different type of holiday in Central America. Flights aren't too long and sitting around a pool somewhere might aid recovery!

Neither of us knows much about Central America so looking for advice for an interesting, relaxing location. She hasn't huge funds, but neither is she a budget backpacker.

Have no ideas so all advice welcome on countries, locations. Someplace friendly, different to Aussie beaches, but maybe a pool to aid rehab. She is starting to put weight on leg but probably won't be doing a heap of walking.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

If she's US based right now, maybe a flight into Liberia and transfer straight to Tamarindo, a quaint beachfront surfer town with good nightlife if she wants that in the evening, plenty of restaurants (incl. the excellent sushi samba) and nice expansive beach (though pacific coast CR is volcanic so beaches are pristine white and sea not azure blue). Also a very broad selection of accommodation options that should suit any budget plus, if she does feel more up to it, lots of tours/activities out of there to vary things up a bit if lounging on the beach/by the pool gets a little dull! The sunset catamaran cruise (we used Marlin del Rey) for example is beautiful and great fun.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

Thanks for that suggestion. Beaches aren't a high necessity as go to the beach most days here, though having said that, it might be nice to have access to warm water- pool or ocean-. Also maybe a place that hasn't a heap of steps and somewhere she feels that has experienced another culture and had a holiday. Yes big ask so appreciate time given for suggestions. Will probably use Taca airlines out of LA.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

Ha, good point, CR beaches aren't a patch on Oz!!

Tamarindo isn't really a culture hub. CR 'culture' is about nature, bio-diversity, eco-harmony, etc. Others on here will have some better suggestions I'm sure.

Maybe somewhere like Arenal? Lots of nature/culture around there plus a bit of adventure too as she could do ziplining (SkyTrek for example) that's be super exciting but involves no steps/stairs and no presure on ankle/knee.

Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

I tore my calf muscle 2 weeks before leaving on a trip for CR. I was on crutches the first few days, but by the end of the trip I was walking without them, although slowly. I would say to go anyway! Costa Ricans are especially helpful and once she is there, I am sure the hotels can offer ideas. We did go to Arenal and the hot springs were very soothing and I felt like maybe it sped along my healing. We went to a wildlife center that had easy walking trails and it was an enjoyable afternoon.

Also, we flew TACA on that trip and they made sure I got a seat at the front of the economy section which has a little more leg room so I could try to prop my leg up a little on the flight. They offered a wheelchair and really were helpful. On the return trip they wrapped the crutches up and took care to get them returned to me.

There is so much to see and enjoy in CR, she will still greatly enjoy going.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

I would head for Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side of the country, great cultural experience, best beaches in the country, IMHO! Plus is great for the budget traveler.

6. Re: Advice needed on central america due to accident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:16