We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarchi Worth a Stop?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sarchi Worth a Stop?

Good Day,

On August 10 we'll be heading out of San Jose to the Arenal Region, then Manuel Antonio, then depart either San Jose or Liberia.... eitherway I was wondering is Sarchi worth a stop on the way to the Arenal Region.

I have very limited time and the only available time to visit Sarchi is on day 1... so is it worth a stop. If so any specific locations/stuff I need to see? Will I find only unique things - anything else to see/buy?

I would like to shop for souvenirs but unsure what I will find in the Arenal Region/Manuel Antonio... so any advice?

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

This small town is famous for its colorful handcrafted items. It is worth a stop, since you will need max 1 hour for it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

If you're going that way, make sure to stop in Zarcero. There is a fantastic topiary park right on the main road and a beautiful metal church right beside it. If I had to pick between Sarchi and Zarcero, I'd choose Zarcero, but you should really do both.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

I love Zacero too! If you have never seen hedges cut into the shapes of helicopters and teletubbies then stop and gaze in wonder! Sarchi is a great stop for shopping but also to see the arts and crafts produced.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

Saarchi is a handcraft and furniture place. Many shoppes. Some geared to funelling tourists thru, some not.. We sould have bought a Costa Rican rocker there, but did not. Will do so on a return trip. Pretty church on the square.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

I believe that the metal church mentioned above is the one located in Grecia. It's quite beautiful and can be a stop on the way to Sarchi, Zarcero, etc. The topiary in Zarcero is in the central park in front of the town church.

I've driven thru Sarchi a few times without stopping for shopping. I do remember a giant sized replica of the typical painted Costa Rican oxcart in the middle of town. It's someplace to stop for photos. Many souvenir & furniture shops along the way.

6. Re: Sarchi Worth a Stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:18