We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Schedule

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
richmond
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Schedule

I will be returning to San Jose in August and hope to get around the area by bus. I have used them before with only a few problems. The most trouble is finding what bus goes where and how often. Is there anywhere I can get a bus schedule? I will most likely be staying in the Sabana area, but will want to take a bus to Escazu, to the Cima Hospital/Multiplaza area, the WalMart in Escazu, and to the Village of Escazu where Casona de Laly is located.

I haven't found a schedule online or snywhere else.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Schedule

I don't know of any schedule online for bus routes around San Jose. What you might try is asking your question in the ARCR forum (Association of Residents of Costa Rica) at www.arcr.net That forum is very active with many participants who live in Costa Rica. Someone there might be able to help you.

Otherwise, you will just have to ask around and then kind of figure it out.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Schedule

The buses are so frequent to Escazu, you do not need a schedule.

If you are staying in the Sabana Area, there are two bus stops there are convenient.

1 - Bus stop at the park itself, Sabana Sur. Underneath the elevated cross walk over the road.

2 - There is a park 2 blocks south of hertz on Paseo Colone. All the escazu, Santa Ana, Colone buses stop at both locations (with the new street signs Avienda 4 and Calle 36.

For CIMA/Multiplaza get the escazu or Santa Ana buses marked Pista (Highway)

For Casona de Laly Central Escazu get the buses marked San Antonio, Centro, or Barrio de Jesus. These will also stop at Walmart. Calle Viejo Escazu or Santa Ana buses also stop at Walmart but not downtown Escazu.

There are 3 Escazus San Antonio (upper mountains), San Miguel (central), and San Rafael and Guachapelin (lower), you are looking for Central and lower.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Schedule

Really the best in your case is to ask locals once you are here...buses and schedules can and will change anytime....had to trust anybody advice...sorry!

But the good news what you are looking for is a short ride many buses...just relax!

roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Schedule

So many bus lines, so many schedules. Once in Your neighborhood, ask questions, you'll figure it out fast!

richmond
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Schedule

Thanks for the info. Asking around, scratching my head, getting on the wrong bus, etc is how I've been navigating the buses during my past visits. One way or another, I always got to where I was going, but sometimes it was very frustrating! I was hoping for a little more efficient method of navigation, but for all the wonderful attributes of the Costa Rican culture, perhaps efficiency is not a strength. Costa Ricans are alwys willing to help, though.

Mickeymoose, thanks for the explanation of the 3 Escazus. I think you've given me what I need.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Schedule

I would definitely ask at your hotel about bus routes/stops. If you know the name of the bus company, then some of them do have web sites with schedules.

As suggested many buses have the major stops on that route printed on the front of the bus (i.e. Multiplaza, WalMart, etc.). Ask/tell the other people in line and/or the driver before you pay where you're going to ensure the correct route/bus.

After searching it looks like Compañía Tapachula is the bus company which serves these routes. Not sure if they're current, but maps & time tables found here (Google translate button on top of page): …blogspot.com/2013/02/tapachula-rutas-de-bus… Bus company's web site found here: http://www.ciltcr.com/informacion/

richmond
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Schedule

Wow! Thanks so much! Gotta love this forum!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Schedule

Not always convenient, but if you can find the bus terminal where the route begins/ends, then most have the schedule posted above the waiting area. Many longer distance routes within the central valley have a bus barn or parking lot in San Jose with a waiting area, pay to use restroom & snack/soda vendor. Take a picture of the schedule (Mon-Fri, Sat, Sun) & you're all set.

Where's Prolijo when we need him? ;o)

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Schedule

On the same note, if you do find the right bus, the schedule is often up around the drvier's seat, so again you can take a photo. Mickey will know better, but I think the Esczu buses leave from the Coca Cola so I'm not sure about the bus barn for those routes.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Schedule

The San Jose/Escazu buses are a normal local transit bus. The dispatchers will tell the driver to leave early or late based on bunching, traffic, or general overcrowding on buses going in one direction and not the other. The dispatchers will instruct some drivers to go express or hit all the pick ups in the middle route. They are not on the same type of buses that will always leave on a set schedule.

They do not originate from a terminal, but street side bus stops near Coca Cola as well as the south side of Hospital Juan del Dios. The origination street bus stops do not have schedules posted and the signage is often wrong. The great majority of the people that use these buses, use them often. The foreigners that you see on these buses are not tourists but retirees and Gringos working in call centers, and sports book on their way to and from work. The are often (near the rush hours) standing room only. The are NOT long haul bus where you buy a seat in advance and the bus boards at 10:50 to leave the terminal at 11:00.

Their frequency is such that if you show up at the 2nd stop in San Jose, Avienda 4 park or the last stop in San Jose, the Sabana Sur bus stop, a wait of 5 minutes, would be a long wait (unless you require a particular rarer route). The first bus stop in Escazu is the Walmart for any bus that does not have Pista on the front. The Calle Viejo Santa Ana buses also stop there. Most buses that stop at walmart, actually say walmart or the old name Hypermas, with a picture of a whale.

The Pista buses will stop at CIMA and Multiplaza (CIMA is a highway stop and you need to cross the bridge, Multiplaza will pull off the highway and stop at the mall.)